This Theology program from Heidelberg University, is aimed primarily at doctoral students whose previous academic qualifications are in neighboring disciplines (e.g., ancient history or psychology) or from foreign universities (e.g., China or the USA), but who wish to write their dissertation on a theologically oriented topic under the theologically competent aegis of our faculty.
The target group also encompasses doctoral students who have completed a specialized theological program of study (e.g., a Master’s in “Christianity and Culture”).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The Ph.D. program consists of three phases:
- Preparation Phase
- Research Phase
- Research and Writing Phase
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
The application should be accompanied by the following documents:
- C.V. with photo and presentation of academic career
- Documentation of the prerequisites
- German language skills (at least DSH-2)
- Two letters of recommendation from university lecturers confirming the academic ability of the applicant
- A proposal of the intended doctoral project, agreed upon with the potential advisor, ofmax. 5 pages (without attachments)
Living costs for Heidelberg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.