Consistent with the University’s liberal educational philosophy, Sociology students from Koc University will also develop valuable conceptual and analytic skills that they can use in many different settings upon graduation.
The goal of the program is to provide a solid foundation in the substantive scope, key concepts, theoretical perspectives, and research methods used in Sociology.
The core training is complemented by elective courses that take advantage of specific areas of faculty expertise, including globalization, population dynamics, the political economy of media and communication, educational sociology, cultural sociology, race/ethnicity, urban poverty and social exclusion, disabilities studies, the sociology of development, social movements and the sociology of migration and refugees.
- Quantitative Research Methods
- Classical Social Theory
- Contemporary Social Theory
- Ethics Course
- English Academic Writing
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Reference Letters, Letters of Recommendation
- The Graduate School requires three reference letters for PhD applications. These should be by persons well qualified to speak from first-hand knowledge about the applicant’s potential for graduate study. Letters of recommendation must be submitted online
- Statement of Purpose, which should not exceed 2,000 words, focusing on why the applicant wants to study at Koç University and in this particular program as well as explaining career objectives and research interests
- English Language, when applicants’ native language is not English, they must ensure to provide their official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL,) or any equivalent testing system. (Please see minimum required scores below). –
- ALES or GRE Score
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year
Living costs for Istanbul
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.