The History programme at Koc University covers a variety of subjects but is especially strong in the following areas: Ottoman Empire, Turkey, the Balkans, Russia, Ukraine and the Soviet Union, Europe and the Mediterranean.
As part of their training, doctoral students will have to successfully complete their course requirements and comprehensive exam, conduct original research and write their doctoral dissertation.
They will also be required to work as teaching assistants. Doctoral students will at all times work in close collaboration with their advisors and other faculty from the department. Our goal is to train future colleagues, and we therefore commit to providing all the assistance and advice our doctoral students may need.
A PhD in history from Koç University, one of Turkey’s leading higher education institutions, will lead to successful academic careers in Turkey and abroad, although graduates will also find themselves in a privileged position to begin careers in government, non-governmental organizations, and journalism.
- Scientific Paper Writing and Publishing
- Research Methods in History
- Topics in the History of the Early Modern World
- Topics in the History of the Modern World
- Historical Approaches to Social Theory
- Mediterranean History
- History of the Balkans
- History of the Middle East
- History of the Modern State and Mass Violence
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Koc University and/or in Turkey, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Transcripts (B.A. and M.A. when applicable) GPA: 3.00 minimum
- Letters of Recommendation: the Graduate School requires three letters of recommendation for PhD applications. These should be by persons well qualified to speak from first-hand knowledge about the applicant’s potential for graduate study. Letters of recommendation must be submitted online
- Statement of Purpose which should not exceed 2,000 words, focusing on why the applicant wants to study at Koç University and in this particular program as well as explaining career objectives and research interests
- Thesis Abstract Summary of your MA/MS thesis (if available)
- ALES or GRE Score (Please see minimum required scores below)
- TOEFL, YÖKDİL or YDS Score (Please see minimum required scores below) Required for all non-native English speaking applicants.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 48 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 48 months.
- 100% tuition scholarship (full tuition waiver for all admitted candidates is guaranteed)
Living costs for Istanbul
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.