Please note, that all study programs at Modul University can be accessed online from any geographical location and will be delivered in a hybrid learning mode if required.
Based on the unique research orientation of the four Modul University departments, incoming PhD candidates can focus their own doctoral studies from among the following concentrations:
- Information Systems
- Sustainable Development
- Public Governance
- Service Management
- Leisure Science
- Quality of Life, Well-being and Environmental Psychology
The Business and Socioeconomic Sciences at Modul University Vienna targets those interested in research careers in either higher education or industry and is ideal for prospective candidates already holding a master’s degree (or equivalent) in either business or one of the social sciences.
The PhD in Business and Socioeconomic Sciences curriculum prepares qualified candidates in state-of-the-art approaches to conducting scholarly and applied research. The program emphasizes a multidisciplinary approach to finding solutions to research problems, drawing upon advanced concepts and methods from business management, economics, policy studies, sociology, and philosophy of science. Required foundation courses are taught in theory, methods, and research design.
Program coursework is conducted in English, and candidates are expected to actively participate in teaching or research, publication, and conference activities. Customized research seminars in the candidate’s area of concentration help to familiarize and develop critical understanding in both classical and cutting-edge concepts, theories, models and methods of analysis. After completing a set of core course and a variety of tailor-made seminars, PhD candidates undertake individual, original research on a dissertation topic that will contribute to the advancement of the chosen area of specialization.
- Prospective PhD candidates have several paths to admission. Please see below or visit our admissions page to learn more.
- Scholarship Partner Agreement: PhD candidates are granted a tuition waiver while simultaneously working for a sponsoring industry partner.
- Self-paying: Candidates are responsible for financing their studies.
PhD graduates are prepared to become leaders within their fields. Successful completion of the PhD program paves the way for challenging career opportunities in higher education, research institutes, think tanks, government agencies, international organizations engaged in policy development and analysis, NGO's, private-sector corporations, or consulting firms.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theory Building and Methodology
- Research Methods
- Research Seminars
- Research Communication and Collaboration
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- We accept applications for both Spring and Fall intake throughout the year.
DisciplinesEconomics Business Administration Sociology
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Incoming candidates must hold a master-level degree (or it's equivalent) in either business or one of the social or economic sciences.
- Applicants must demonstrate an aptitude for conducting high-quality research in the selected area of scholarship.
- The program is conducted in English, and PhD candidates should have excellent spoken and written English skills.
- Applicants for the Researcher/Lecturer program path must be willing to assist in teaching and/or administrative tasks at the undergraduate level.
- Interested applicants who do not already fulfill the above requirements may still qualify for PhD admission after successfully completing Master of Sciences (MSc) courses at MODUL University Vienna.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International11375 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 45500 EUR for the full programme during 48 months.
EU/EEA11375 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 45500 EUR for the full programme during 48 months.
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Successful applicants will be granted a substantial reduction or even a scholarship up to 50% of the tuition fees of €45,000.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.