At the International Relations program from Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University we focus on China’s socio-economic interactions with the rest of the world, and how China is both impacted by and impacting recent developments in the global political economy.
Regarding China’s internationalization, our research also explores the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) and its effects on China’s economic and foreign relations with Asia, Europe, the Americas and Africa. Our regional expertise spans the European Union, the Americas, Africa and Asia.
Within China, we have a special interest on the interactions of the Jiangnan Region (embracing the city of Shanghai, the southern part of Jiangsu Province, southeast Anhui Province, and the northern parts of Jiangxi Province and Zhejiang Province) with the rest of the world.
Key benefits of PhD study at XJTLU:
- The Department of International Relations PhD programme enables you to work with dynamic and active researchers who are making an impact in their respective fields
- Supportive processes and supervisors will provide a strong basis for the successful navigation of your intellectual project
- The Department will offer opportunities to ensure professional development and enhance employment opportunities
- The Department offers bridging Writing Fellowships. Upon submission of your PhD you will be able to apply for a three-month Fellowship to enable you to work on placing an academic article in a peer-reviewed journal
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- There is no specific deadline for PhD application.
DisciplinesInternational Relations International Development International Business
- UK upper second class honours (2:1) or equivalent or a master degree.
International13761 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13761 USD per year during 48 months.
National13761 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13761 USD per year during 48 months.
- RMB 88,000 per academic year (all students).
Living costs for Suzhou
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
XJTLU offers a range of scholarships to highly motivated and qualified candidates to pursue research leading to a PhD degree. Successful applicants may receive financial support including:
- A tuition fee scholarship for up to three years
- A monthly stipend for up to three years
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.