With accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International, UTS Business School is one of a select few elite business schools worldwide. Many UTS Business School staff are leaders in their fields both academically and in industry, working as senior staff or consultants, or with strong links to major corporations.
The PhD in Economics from University of Technology Sydney provides the opportunity for candidates to receive training in advanced disciplinary and cross-disciplinary methods which provide the basis on which candidates are able to build research capability. PhD students are supervised by a committee of three, with a chairperson normally located in the discipline most fundamental to the candidate's doctoral research. Interdisciplinary research is encouraged, and PhD committees can include researchers from cognate or other disciplines beyond where the candidate is located.
The PhD in economics offers first-rate training in the foundations of economic theory and econometrics. This outcome is achieved via a program of core PhD classes, taken by all students, which provide the concepts and analytical tools required of every economist. In addition, each student develops expertise in two fields of their choosing. A field consists of a pair of research field classes in which students study advanced topics and become familiar with the frontiers of research in that field. Fields offered include:
- behavioural economics
- experimental economics
- dynamic systems
- health economics
- industrial organisation
- labour economics
- market design
- microeconomic theory
- public economics.
Career options include management-level positions in industry or government, and academic positions.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Year 1: Students receive a rigorous training in economic theory and econometrics. At the end of their first year, students must pass comprehensive exams in econometrics and theory in order to continue in the program.
- Year 2: Students complete the core coursework and take research field classes in their research areas. A research paper is due at the end of Year 2.
- Year 3: In the first session, students must do their Thesis Proposal Defence with their supervisory panel. Students present a complete (but perhaps still unpolished) research paper, and present their plans for completing a second and third thesis paper. At the end of the year students must submit a research paper.
- Year 4: Students should have two complete research papers by mid-year. One of these papers should be polished and suitable for serving as the student's job market paper. At the end of the fourth year, students defend and submit their thesis of between 50,000 amd 70,000 words.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 96 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEconomics Finance Statistics View 5 other Masters in Statistics in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised master's by research or bachelor's degree with first or second class honours (division 1), or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate research studies.
- Previous qualifications must be in business or a related discipline. Each applicant is required, prior to application, to contact the Business School well ahead of the closing date for applications for a pre-assessment. Applicants are also required to submit a brief thesis proposal or statement of research interest with their application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International36870 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18435 AUD per semester and a duration of 48 months.
- Tuition fees for international students range from A$19,840 to A$34,080 per year.
- For this course, the cost per session is $18435.
- CSC UTS PhD scholarship
- Insearch Doctoral Scholarship
- International Research Scholarship
- International Research Training Program Scholarship (IRTP)
- UTS 30th Anniversary Study Abroad Accommodation Scholarship
- UTS ATN-LATAM Scholarships
- UTS President's Scholarship
- UTS Study Abroad Excellence Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.