Students in the Visual Arts - Philosophy, Aesthetics, and Art Theory program from Institute for Doctoral Studies in the Visual Arts (IDSVA) working on the dissertation pay a modest per-semester dissertation preparation fee.
The IDSVA course of study comprises three interrelated academic programs: Seminars, Topological Studies, and Independent Studies. Each of these programs focuses on the historical relation between art and ideas. Over the three-year course of study, the programs overlap and intersect.
- Seminars serve as the backbone of the course of study through a shared language centered on the critique of Western Metaphysics.
- Topological Studies bring together a global understanding of the trans-historical relations between art and ideas and the places in which they intersect. Residency intensives are held at Spannocchia Castle in Tuscany, the Venice Biennale, Paris, Athens, Berlin, Madrid, Mexico City, New York City, and, starting in spring 2021, Marrakech.
- The Course of Study comprises 60 credits over three years. At the end of the third year, candidates are required to pass the oral and written qualifying exams before starting the dissertation.
- The dissertation is typically submitted within two years following completion of the Course of Study.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesVisual Arts Philosophy & Ethics Art History View 10 other PhDs in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Current curriculum vitae
- Statement of intent, minimum of 750 words
- One academic writing sample, 10-20 pages double-spaced
- Optional: artist statement of no more than 500 words
- Optional: ten to twenty images or other documentation of creative practice. Submit as a Google Drive folder or link to website
International42600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 42600 USD per year during 36 months.
National42600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 42600 USD per year during 36 months.
42,600 per year for the 3-year Course of Study
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.