The Mechanical Engineering program of Nazarbayev University focuses on the development of an in-depth understanding of the nature, implementation and evaluation of mechanical engineering principles and applications together with the growth of research skills. The current areas of research interest for the PhD in Mechanical Engineering encompass a wide spectrum, with specific focus on energy engineering, biomedical engineering, advanced design, manufacturing and control, advanced transportation and sustainable engineering.
By the completion of the PhD program, students will be capable of designing and conducting independent, innovative, original and high-quality research related to a variety of topics in mechanical engineering. In addition, program graduates will be prepared for working in industrial and academic environment in the positions of university faculty members, senior researchers, engineers and product developers.
Program Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of the program, the students will be able to:
- Review, analyse, and evaluate the body of scientific literature in their field of study in Mechanical Engineering;
- Select appropriate research topics in their field of study in Mechanical Engineering, and generate hypotheses about such topics;
- Plan, develop, analyse and communicate research in writing and verbally independently;
- Make an original contribution to the knowledge in their area of specialization within Mechanical Engineering;
- Judge technically and ethically and relate their research to the broader field of knowledge in their Mechanical Engineering sub-discipline;
- Develop their academic/scholarly career through presentations, publications, and national and international networking.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Methods & Ethics
- Current Research Literature
- Thesis Research
- Leadership in Enabling and Industrial Technologies (Information and Communication Technologies
- Advanced Materials
- Advanced Manufacturing and Processing
- Environment, Future and Emerging Technologies
- Health, demographic change and well-being (Improving diagnosis
- Innovative treatments and technologies; Integrated, sustainable, citizen-centered care).
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMechanical Engineering Automotive Engineering Robotics
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An undergraduate degree
- A Master’s degree or equivalent
- A competitive CGPA in applicant’s Master’s (or equivalent) degree
- High level of English proficiency
- High motivation and a strong interest in the Program as outlined in a statement of purpose
- Research proposal
- Two letters of recommendation (one from an academic source)
- Complete Application form
- National ID (for the citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan) and passport (for international applicants)
- Statement of purpose outlining the applicant’s prior educational career, statement of his/her interest in the Program, his/her long-term career goals, and how the program would help him/her to achieve these goals (500 words)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
- To learn more about the tuition fee applicable to this programme, please visit the university website
Living costs for Nur-Sultan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.