The Life Sciences program of Nazarbayev University is unique in Kazakhstan because of its interdisciplinary focus and integrated research, communications and innovation approach. Starting from the first semester students interact closely with faculty and become members of a research team. Guided by the supervisor who acts also as a research advisor, the student will be immersed in an educational, teaching, innovation and research program to gain expertise and skills to transform biological data into biological information and knowledge, and to facilitate organizational decision-making in technology and data-rich situations.
Graduates of the program will be highly qualified life sciences professionals who are expected to enter careers in academia, education or research and development in the private industry or government organizations.
Career and Internship Support
All students will have the opportunity to take part in a 6-12 months research internship at an international host research institution. The host supervisor and supervisory team at NU will maintain communication with the student throughout the student’s stay in order to make efficient use of the host premises and facilities for the benefit of the PhD student.
Students will be encouraged to attend Professional Development Workshops organized by CAC, SSH or the Department.
The students’ supervisor shall advise on research career options and facilitate conference attendance to present research results and enable networking.
Work permits for Kazakhstan
- If you are from Kazakhstan, you won't need to prepare and apply for a work permit.
- GA opportunities are available
- PhD students are not recommended to work, as they need to focus on their research
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Methods & Ethics
- Statistical Methods in Life Sciences
- Structural and Molecular Biology in Health and Disease
- Cellular Biophysics
- Applied Bioinformatics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Biotechnology Microbiology
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- An undergraduate degree and master’s degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline
- A minimum CGPA of 2.75 out of 4.00 in their highest degree
- The required level of English proficiency
- 2 letters of recommendation in English. One of the two recommendations must be written by an employer or research supervisor
- A statement of purpose not exceeding 500 words
- GRE - Recommended: Valid GRE Test Report (general test)
- Complete Application form for Ph.D in Life Sciences program
- Official copy of Passport/national ID (with notarized English translation)
- Resume (up to two A4 pages)
- A statement of purpose not exceeding 500 words, explaining the motivation to enroll on the Ph.D in Physics, and the tentative choice of the research subject
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
- To learn more about the tuition fee applicable to this programme, please visit the university website
Living costs for Nur-Sultan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
The sources of funding can be:
- the state educational order;
- a specific scholarship and/or sponsorship;
- applicant’s own expense.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.