Through the doctoral dissertation process, you will gain research competency by leading a body of independent epidemiologic research from initial design through submission for publication. Our current and recent Epidemiology Ph.D. candidates have pursued investigations related to economic policy, maternal and child health, obesity prevention and treatment, infectious disease modeling, hearing loss among military veterans, antibiotic stewardship, health impacts of insurance policies, and economic segregation, among other pressing and timely issues. To develop your skills as an educator, you will serve at least one term as a teaching assistant for a core Epidemiology course under the guidance of a faculty member.
Graduates of the Epidemiology Ph.D. program from Portland State University have an exemplary record of job placement. You will be highly qualified for university faculty positions and scientific leadership roles in government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and private-sector health systems.
The MPH in Epidemiology offers first-rate preparation for careers in government, the nonprofit sector, research institutes, health plans and other healthcare-related businesses, and academia.
Graduates of our Epidemiology Ph.D. program have an exemplary record of job placement. You will be highly qualified for university faculty positions and scientific leadership roles in government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and private-sector health systems.
Graduates of the dual MD/MPH in Epidemiology return to medical school with a broadened public health lens to complete the final two years of the MD program and plan for your career at the intersection of these two important fields.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureStudents graduating from this track will be able to:
- Apply population-based concepts of epidemiology and risk determination to the assessment of health problems.
- Apply evidence-based knowledge of health determinants to public health issues.
- Apply and interpret a variety of statistical methods commonly used in medical and public health research.
- Propose and test a research hypothesis.
- Identify ethical principles problems that arise in public health policy decisions.
- Apply knowledge of cultural dimensions in conducting research, including culturally sensitive recruitment of study participants, and develop strategies for interpretation of data in the larger cultural context.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Epidemiology View 11 other PhDs in Epidemiology in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- To be considered for regular admission, applicants must have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75 or the equivalent (on the U.S. 4.0 scale) from the degree granting institution(s). Applicants who have earned 9 or more letter-graded graduate credits must have a minimum graduate GPA of 3.0 or the equivalent; this graduate GPA supersedes the undergraduate GPA.
- Copies of official degree certificate/diploma
- Certified translation of transcripts
- Financial documentation demonstrating adequate financial support for at least the first year of study
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International73764 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 683 USD per credit
National73764 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 683 USD per credit
In-State49248 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 456 USD per credit
Living costs for Portland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.