Call for applications is now open!
- Over 200 fully funded positions available
- Scholarship amount: € 18.854,52 gross per year
- Joint research activity with the non-academic sector
- Pre-PhD scholarships available for candidates admitted within the spring session
Both of these aspects, joined together, aim to stimulate intellectual growth and to develop the ability to understand problems and to critically analyze solutions related to research, both basic and applied, in the aerospace field.
The training program includes the typical aerospace disciplines and extends over transversal topics and technologies, in order to provide the student with a complete scientific preparation.
The specific research carried out during the Ph.D. Aerospace Engineering program from Politecnico di Torino must be innovative and concern advanced problems in the aerospace field. During the activity, progress is constantly monitored by the advisor and periodically evaluated by the Academic Board.
Furthermore, the development of part of the research activity at prestigious international universities is increasingly encouraged. Finally, the student must document the activity performed and the results achieved in the final thesis as well as in articles published in journals or presented at international conferences.
The aim of the Ph.D. program in Aerospace Engineering is to educate the students on the principles of science and technology in the aerospace sector, providing them with the essential tools to boost their future activity both in the scientific and technological research.
The Ph.D. program prepares students not only to conduct high quality research but also to excel in a variety of different settings, including the production and management sector.
At the end of the program, the Ph.D. has usually acquired the necessary skills and capabilities to handle a variety of activities, independently or in a team, and to communicate ideas and initiatives appropriately, both in Italian and in English, in a dynamic and international setting.
Research projects are available in the framework of the activities conducted by the research groups referring to the Academic Board and mainly belonging to the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
- Aerospace propulsion
- Aircraft and Engine Structural Design and Optimisation (AESDO)
- Aircraft modelling, simulation and control
- ASTRA: Additive manufacturing for Systems and sTRuctures in Aerospace
- Boundary layer flow, separation and control
- Design of aerospace systems and technologies
- Design of aircraft and of advanced composite aerospace structures
- Dynamics, control and flight simulation
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- 3D Shell models for Composite Structures
- Advanced flight dynamics: modelling and simulation
- Advanced numerical modeling for systems engineering: theory and applications
- Advanced topics in the finite element method
- Aerospace manufacturing processes by advanced composite materials
- Atmospheric turbolence
- Combustion for aerospace propulsion
- Flow control
- Hypersonic flight aerothermodynamics
- Innovative approaches to the simulation of turbulent flows in aerospace propulsion systems
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
The call for admission is divided into two separate sessions. The application deadline are on:
- February 11 for the spring session
- May 13 for the summer session
DisciplinesAerospace Engineering General Engineering & Technology
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Access to PhD courses in Italy can be only achieved by participating in the Calls for Application. At Politecnico di Torino, PhD candidates are admitted after the evaluation of academic qualifications and the following oral interview: as a matter of fact, your skills are evaluated by analyzing your academic and scientific curricula and by the mandatory interview with the Selection Committee.
- You can participate in the Call if you have a Master of Science or if you are planning to obtain such degree by 31st October. In addition, it is required an international certificate of English language (IELTS 5.0 or an equivalent one).
- The GRE General Test will not be required only for students who apply for a CSC scholarship.
- The first Call for Application will be open from 25th January to 11th February. If you are planning to apply for the CSC scholarship, this will be the only useful Call, because if you are admitted as a PhD candidate, the Doctoral School Office will provide you with a pre-admission letter around 15th March: this document will have to be attached to the documents needed for the CSC scholarship application.Furthermore Politecnico di Torino signed an agreement with the China Scholarship Council in which it was established that CSC will provide 5 scholarships for students who are willing to attend the PhD at the Politecnico!
The administrative fee is 161 Euro.
Living costs for Turin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
PhD scholarships can be with own research topic or with predefined research topic.
The gross annual amount of the scholarship is usually € 15,343.28, but the Politecnico di Torino has chosen to further enhance and promote the value of PhD programmes, increasing the amount of the scholarships to € 18.854,52.
All candidates compete for scholarships with own research topic, unless they explicitly waive their right to receive them.
The scholarships with predefined research topic are associated to particular research topics for which specific skills are required. Those applicants interested in one or more scholarships shall carefully verify which are the field of research and the competences required, as specified in the scholarship descriptive sheet and contact the relevant scientific referee.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.