Undertaking doctoral research allows you to develop in-depth knowledge, while making a meaningful contribution to your chosen field.
With guidance from our expert supervisors, you'll carry out extensive independent research culminating in a thesis of up to 100,000 words. Broadly speaking the area covered by the Institute’s expertise is social, religious and economic history of the Roman world; ancient literacy; the ancient book; cultural identity in the ancient world; and. digital classics
On completing this Classical Studies degree from School of Advanced Study, University of London, you'll be well prepared for specialist career paths both within academia and beyond.
You can study on-campus or online.
Opportunities and Facilities
The Institute of Classical Studies with its world-class library provides an important academic focus for postgraduates from universities in the UK and abroad, who are studying all aspects of the ancient world.
Postgraduates are encouraged to attend the Institute’s broad range of research seminars and guest lectures, which provide an excellent opportunity to hear and discuss papers by leading scholars from the UK and abroad, as well as to meet others interested in a particular field of study.
The Institute is also committed to an expanding programme of research training on aspects of Classical antiquity and related disciplines. The regular series of Postgraduate Work-in-Progress seminars attracts participants from throughout the UK; student-organised conferences also play an increasingly important role in the Institute’s events programme.
More broadly, the School of Advanced Study itself offers excellent resources for inter-disciplinary research by bringing together nine internationally renowned research institutes that support the promotion of research in the humanities.
- Full-time study for the PhD degree entails three or a maximum of four years' independent research, culminating in the writing of a thesis of not more than 100,000 words.
- After submission of the thesis, you will attend an oral examination conducted by an internal examiner, from the University of London, and an external examiner, normally from another British university.
- There is no formal coursework, but you will be expected to participate in a weekly seminar on Work in Progress and to present a paper every year from their second year onwards. In your first year you are required to attend a weekly class on Techniques of Scholarship.
- You are also encouraged to participate in the regular seminars held at the Institute during the academic year.
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics General Studies & Classics Literature View 30 other PhDs in General Studies & Classics in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Before submitting an application you are advised to contact a member of the Institute's academic staff who has interests in your proposed field of study to discuss your proposal. It is important that you discuss your outline research proposal with them, and that you feel you can work together.
- Before agreeing to accept you, the School will require you to submit a research proposal, so it is worthwhile having this drafted ahead of a formal application.
International15500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15500 GBP per year during 36 months.
National6130 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6130 GBP per year during 36 months.
- Part-time UK: £3600
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Find out more about our range of funding opportunities: https://www.sas.ac.uk/graduate-study/fees-and-funding
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.