The University of Vaasa is one of Finland's oldest business studies institutions and the university's Faculty of Business Studies has a long tradition of high-calibre international graduate education.
The Doctoral Programme in Business Studies at University of Vaasa examines in-depth the discipline's key research question, development and societal significance. The doctoral programme prepares students for high-level independent research work. Studies in the doctoral programme consist of general studies and methods, primary subject studies, optional studies and the doctoral thesis. Students are expected to graduate from the programme as Doctors of Science in Business Studies in four years.
There are nine research groups operating in the Faculty of Business Studies. Students undertaking the Doctoral Programme in Business Studies are connected with the work of the research groups to enable more interesting research topics, group work training and a more intensive and diverse supervision programme.
The doctoral programme collaborates closely with national graduate schools (KATAJA, KAVA and OMY). The collaboration enables doctoral students to participate in events arranged by graduate schools and to organise national and international courses and seminars. Doctoral students can also benefit from the contact networks of other research groups in the form of corporate collaboration. Doctoral studies in the field of business usually also include an exchange period with a partner university abroad.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- General scientific and methodological studies 25 ECTS
- Doctoral Thesis, including e.g. research plan, doctoral seminars, tutorials and seminars of the Graduate School in business studies 180 ECTS
- Major studies 30 ECTS
- Optional studies 5-15 ECTS
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBusiness Administration International Business
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Eligible for studies leading to an academic doctorate degree shall be a person who has completed
- an applicable higher university degree;
- an applicable higher polytechnic degree; or
- an applicable education completed abroad which in the awarding country gives eligibility for corresponding higher education.
- Officially certified copies of Degree certificates
- Transcript of Records of the previous degrees and explanation of the grading scale
- Photocopy of passport's information page
- Proof of language proficiency
- Curriculum Vitae. Please use the Europass CV form.
- Preliminary research plan. The research topic of the doctoral thesis is presented in the research plan.
- Preliminary study plan of the doctoral studies.
- Motivation letter
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
There are no tuition fees or other mandatory fees for doctoral students.
Living costs for Vaasa
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.