Proposals are welcomed in all areas from Medieval to Modern. Areas of expertise in a School that brings together award-winning writers and critics working across British, Irish and American Literature include Poetry; Irish Literature; American Literature; Shakespeare and Renaissance Studies; Literature and Place; Culture, Geography and Identity, from the local to the global, from earliest writing to the contemporary; Literature, Crime and Conflict; and, Science, Medicine and Culture.
The School’s Centre for the Americas, its involvement in the Centre for Eighteenth-Century Studies and the Institute of Irish Studies, and the Seamus Heaney Centre for Poetry - an internationally-recognised centre of excellence for the study and production of literature – mean that your project in literary studies, creative writing or linguistics will be supported by dynamic research groups and experts in the field. The English programme is offered by Queen's University Belfast .
Research students of the English programme at Queen's University Belfast are encouraged to play a full and active role in the professional and research activities of the School. These include:
- Regular research seminars and conferences within the School of Arts, English & Languages.
- Access to the School’s Professionalising the PhD Progamme and Peer Mentoring Scheme.
- Access to Queen’s University Postgraduate Researcher Development Programme.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- A number of major research projects (including Doctoral and Postdoctoral posts in Language and Linguistics, Medieval Studies, Modern Literary Studies and Renaissance Literature) have been funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC). Poetry and Irish writing remain at the core of the School's research expertise.
- The School is home to the Seamus Heaney Centre for Poetry and the Centre for the Americas. A number of staff participate in the Centre for Eighteenth-Century Studies and the Institute of Irish Studies, and are fellows of the Senator George J. Mitchell Institute For Global Peace, Security And Justice.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Linguistics View 90 other PhDs in Linguistics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification acceptable to the University. While a Master’s degree (or equivalent qualification acceptable to the University) is not essential, it is desirable and applicants without this qualification will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17460 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17460 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Belfast
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.