The Department of Chemical Engineering at University of Bath is a multidisciplinary centre focusing on research into future sustainable materials and technologies.
We are funded by research councils, the Department for Trade and Industry, the Royal Academy of Engineering, the British Council, the EU, government research agencies and industry.
Chemical engineering research is crucial and supports development and production of new materials, fuels, drugs, consumer products, health care products, foods and beverages, electronic components, medical implants, and more.
As the number and complexity of chemical, biochemical and biological materials used in consumer products and supporting technologies increases, this research will play an increasingly vital role in the development of modern societies across the world.
- The MPhil and PhD programmes combine taught research training and applied research practice.
- Candidates join the Department as a member of the Research Centre in which they initially have a broad research interest and that will have overseen their acceptance into the Department.
- Candidates are expected to carry out supervised research at the leading edge of their chosen subject, which must then be written up as a substantial thesis.
- Most research students who ‘do a PhD’ register in the first instance as probationer for the programme of PhD. Confirmation of PhD registration is subject to your passing an assessment process, which normally involves submission of written work and an oral examination.
- The final stage of the PhD programme is the oral or viva voce examination, in which students are required to defend the thesis to a Board of Examiners.
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Chemistry General Engineering & Technology View 16 other PhDs in Chemical Engineering in United Kingdom
- First or good second class honours degree (or equivalent) in an appropriate subject.
- Passes at a satisfactory level in either of the following examinations:
- Institution of Chemical Engineers Part III or Membership of recognised professional institutions of at least graduate status or a relevant professional qualification acceptable to the Board of Studies.
- Extended and responsible experience at an appropriate standard in a relevant field acceptable to the Board of Studies
International19800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19800 GBP per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA4400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4400 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Bath
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.