The Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering at the University of Bath is in the vanguard of progress in a fast-moving discipline. It offers a broad spectrum of research expertise supported by state-of-the-art facilities.
Its international reputation reflects substantial levels of research income and journal publication, and it offers outstanding opportunities in postgraduate research.
The dissemination of research findings is seen as a vital component of the research process and graduate students are encouraged to prepare papers for publication as part of their research training.
We encourage a wide range of interests. Academic staff are always open to ideas which extend existing work or introduce new topics to their existing subject areas.
Successful applicants are welcomed very much as junior academic colleagues rather than students, and are expected to play a full and professional role in contributing to the Departments objective of international academic excellence.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The MPhil and PhD programmes combine taught research training and applied research practice. Candidates join the Department as a member of the Research Centre in which they initially have a broad research interest and that will have overseen their acceptance into the Department.
- Most research students who ‘do a PhD’ register in the first instance as probationer for the programme of PhD. Confirmation of PhD registration is subject to your passing an assessment process, which normally involves submission of written work and an oral examination.
- Candidates are expected to carry out supervised research at the leading edge of their chosen subject, which must then be written up as a substantial thesis.
- The final stage of the PhD programme is the oral or viva voce examination, in which students are required to defend the thesis to a Board of Examiners
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
You can apply at any time, but International applications must be made at least five months before your intended start date and Home/EU at least three months before your intended start date.
DisciplinesElectrical Engineering Electronics & Embedded Technology General Engineering & Technology View 21 other PhDs in Electronics & Embedded Technology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- First or good second class honours degree (or equivalent) in an appropriate subject.
- The minimum non-graduate qualifications acceptable for admission to the MPhil are:
- Membership by examination of a recognised Professional Institution of at least Associate or Graduate status; or
- A recognised College Diploma or Service College qualification.
- (a) or (b) above to be coupled with either:
- at least two years relevant experience in industry, in teaching or in a government establishment - or
- successful completion of a preliminary course acceptable to the Board of Studies.
- Relevant qualifications acceptable to the Board of Studies and which shall not be less than the qualifications approved by Senate for the purposes of the general entrance requirements for first degree courses, coupled with:
- at least two years relevant experience in industry, in teaching or in a government establishment
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19800 GBP per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA4400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4400 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Bath
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.