The focus of the program is to prepare the graduates for a career as researchers. The Entrepreneurship, Management and Organisation programme is delivered by Hanken School of Economics.
Doctoral studies in the Department of Management and Organisation includes a wide and challenging course program which consists of three elements:
- 32 ECTS courses taught at Hanken,
- courses offered by the Finnish graduate school in business studies (KATAJA), and
- courses offered by three comprehensive international doctoral programs.
Furthermore, the students are strongly encouraged to spend at least one term as visiting student at foreign universities. Hanken is, for example, a member of the SCANCOR (Scandinavian Consortium for Organisational Research at Stanford University) that offers Hanken's PhD students a possibility to study at Stanford, California and Harvard University.
The Department of Management and Organisation is participating in the following programs:
- The Nordic Research School in International Business (NORD-IB), a 30 ECTS programme offered collectively by the Aarhus Business School, the Copenhagen Business School, Hanken, the Norwegian School of Management, the Stockholm School of Economics, and Uppsala University.
- The European Doctoral School in Knowledge and Management ( EUDOKMA), an extensive programme consisting of intensive on-site courses offered by a network of European universities.
- The Nordic Research School in Interdisciplinary Gender Research, which offers a range of courses taught in the different Nordic countries.
PhD Career Prospects
- A PhD from an accredited, research-intensive and internationally recognised business school is an attractive asset on the international job market.
- High-quality doctoral supervision ensures a good start to the postdoctoral career. At Hanken, supervision is personal and individually tailored in the best Nordic tradition. All our PhD supervisors are experienced, internationally active scholars at the cutting edge of their research fields.
- Two thirds of Hanken PhD alumni go for academic careers. The job market for business school academics is fully international, offering exciting opportunities to work anywhere in the world.
- One third of our PhD alumni choose to work in industry or the third sector. Their success across a broad range of fields shows that the PhD is hard currency also outside academia. It develops skills that help you advance along many different paths.
Programme StructureResearch focus
Management and Organisation currently has the following central research programs:
- Industrial restructuring in globalising organisations: Uncovering the cultural and political dynamics of international mergers and acquisitions;
- Knowledge in globalising organisations: Explanatory mechanisms, measurements and performance implications;
- Human Resource Management and employee wellbeing in globalising organisations: the role of the HR function, HRM practices, employee outcomes, and firm performance;
- Gender and diversity in globalising organisations: transnational management, policies and organising.
Having passed the documentation-based first phase, the applicant must participate in an interview with one or more potential supervisors in the department. The interview is also intended to inform the applicant of the conditions under which the doctoral studies are carried out at the department.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Helsinki
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.