- A broad academic education at the highest international level within a modern research environment provides profound up-to-date knowledge in a variety of fields - from fundamental sciences and laser physics to material sciences and life sciences. State-of-the-art laboratories offer optimum conditions for research at the frontiers of optics and photonics.
- One important cornerstone of our philosophy is to regard and value our doctoral candidates as scientists in all respects. The Abbe School of Photonics (ASP) offers an individually adjusted program to meet each candidate's scientific background and interests. This Photonics guarantees at Friedrich Schiller University Jena
- an optimal level of preparation for a high-profile career in research or the industry.
- Interdisciplinarity is an inherent part of our philosophy. ASP provides a variety of courses that help students acquire additional knowledge in complementary sciences, as well as essential transferable skills, e.g. in project management, leadership and in developing a scientific career.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- In addition to the regular courses which are part of the ASP program, a variety of special lectures and workshops is given by world-renowned guest professors.
- Our open photonics makerspace at the Lichtwerkstatt Jena is always open for creative young people with new ideas.
- Further, German language courses and workshops on intercultural competences, job application training and good scientific practice are designed specifically to accomodate our international students in order to help them adjust to their new professional and private environment in Jena.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
Generally, there are no strict deadlines to apply for a position as a doctoral candidate.
DisciplinesPhysics Natural Sciences General Engineering & Technology View 15 other Masters in Natural Sciences in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- All applications for the doctoral program in photonics must be done using the Abbe School of Photonics' Online Application System.
- Application procedure details and required documents are provided in the online application system.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
No tuition fees are charged! On the contrary, doctoral candidates either receive scholarships or are employed as scientists at the respective institution.
Living costs for Jena
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.