We have a vibrant postgraduate research community, with over 90 research students from a wide variety of backgrounds. We offer training in a diverse and international setting and we work closely with industry and government, ensuring our research is sector-leading and meets the needs of our stakeholders. Our world-class research portfolio includes international and multi-institutional research collaborations.
The Civil and Environmental Engineering programme at the University of Strathclyde can be studied over one year (MPhil, MRes) or three years (PhD). Our research is supported by funding from research councils, the Scottish Government and industrial partners.
For applicants looking to do a work-based PhD, the Faculty of Engineering’s Industrial Doctorate Programme allows you remain in full-time employment, while working on a PhD relevant to your area of work. You can find more information on the Industrial Doctorate web page.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
MPhil & PhD
You can study for your choice of these degrees in any of our research areas:
- Ground Engineering & Engineering Geosciences
- Water, Environment, Sustainability & Public Health
- Intelligent Infrastructure
Our MRes degree is specific to the following programmes:
- Geoenvironmental Engineering
- Integrated Pollution Prevention & Control
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You can apply for a postgraduate research degree at any point in the year.
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Civil Engineering & Construction General Engineering & Technology View 74 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United Kingdom
We look for a first or 2:1 UK Honours degree, or overseas equivalent, in a relevant discipline, from a recognised educational institution.
- your full contact details
- copies of transcripts and certificates of all degrees (in English)
- two references, one of which must be academic and completed using the Reference Form
- an updated CV, detailing research and/or industry experience
- a research statement, outlining your research interests and future career aspirations
- proof of IELTS English language proficiency if English isn't your first language (taken within two years)
- a scanned copy of your passport
- a scanned copy of your sponsorship letter (if available)
International21850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21850 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4407 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
- Rest of UK: £4,407
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.