At Humanistic Studies from Rovira i Virgili University students will learn to carry out high-quality research by acquiring and developing broad and deep competencies in the various analytical and methodological techniques. They will also acquire the necessary skills to participate successfully in the various forums at which they have to present their research results. This training is geared towards the research lines of the groups linked primarily to the Faculty of Arts, in collaboration with groups and departments of other national and international universities.
The doctoral studies in Humanistic Studies include the preparation and presentation of the doctoral thesis, which is an original research work in the field of human sciences.
It is also aimed to select the best scientific, creative, innovative and entrepreneurial talent in order to train students with the critical skills and competencies necessary for their future as researchers.
Students who successfully complete the doctoral programme will be able to work in the following fields:
- Professional work in the fields of history, sociology, political and legal sciences, humanities and art history; teaching; cultural management; and archives and heritage.
- Professional work and research aimed at detecting and analysing the sociocultural, political, economic and historical factors (both external and internal) involved in the processes of development of African societies in Africa and Europe.
- Conservation and restoration in public and private institutions responsible for conserving and restoring cultural heritage.
Linguistics and Language
- Management of Spanish newcomer programmes in primary and secondary schools.
- Cultural mediation.
- Literary criticism for a general or specialised audience.
- Cultural management of written and oral literary heritage.
- Research training
- Training in the communication and publication of research results
- Training in mobility and scientific exchange
- Management of virtual environments in training researchers
- Management of the processes of communication, dissemination and exchange of the research work carried out: Symposia for doctoral students
Alberto Reig Tapia, Antonio Enrique Salcedo Miliani, Antonio Nomdedeu Rull, Elisabeth Russell Brown, Esther Forgas Berdet, Fuentes Vázquez, Manuel, Jesús Carruesco Garcia, Jesús Francesc Massip Bonet, Jiménez López, M. Dolores, Joaquín Romero Gallego, John Style, Jordi Carbonell Pallarés, Jordi Ginebra Serrabou, Jordi Jané Carbó (Profesor emérito URV), Josep Sánchez Cervelló,
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
To enter you must pre-enrol during one of the following stages:
- 08/07 - 02/11
- 11/01 - 01/03
- 15/06 (at the request of the program coordinator)
DisciplinesHistory Liberal Arts Linguistics View 3 other PhDs in Linguistics in Spain
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A master's degree in one of the fields related to this programme (humanities, arts and literature): philosophy, history, art history, philology, theory of literature and comparative literature, linguistics, and translation and interpretation; or one of the URV's official master's degrees directly related to the doctoral programme.
- Presentation of a research project that corresponds to one of the research lines of the doctorate.
- Spanish identity card, passport or Foreigners’ Identity Number (NIE), if it is the first time you have studied at the URV.
- Curriculum vitae
International766 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 766 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA548 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 548 EUR per year during 36 months.
- Approximate cost for first year
- Second and successive academic year for both EU and NON-EU students - 548€
Living costs for Tarragona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.