By undertaking a Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Southern Queensland you will have expansive intellectual freedom to be able to make an original and substantial contribution to your area of study.
USQ academics are recognised throughout the world for their excellence in research. Some of the projects you can tap into are at the forefront of cutting edge research. As a research student you would have the commitment and support to make a difference to society in a meaningful way.
USQ is committed to excellence in research training and provide a quality research training experience for our students. We maintain our relevance in research by linking with industry and business through local and international research networks.
To start your PhD you need to clarify your research topic and seek an academic staff member to be your supervisor. This can sometimes take time so it is wise to allow several months for discussion with potential supervisors and for consideration of your application.
Graduates of this program should be able to:
- Investigate a substantial, complex and relevant area of research with specialised research skills that enable them to advance their discipline.
- Critically evaluate relevant research literature, theoretical propositions, methodologies and findings to design and conduct original research.
- Cogently present, verbally and in writing research findings which include propositions, creative works, insights and conclusions to their peers and professional community.
- Independently and systematically apply specialised technical and research skills to plan and execute a research project, undertake research ethically according to the discipline standards and generate new knowledge and original insights that make a contribution to their discipline.
- Apply principles of integrity, research ethics, judgement, adaptability and responsibility in ways appropriate to an expert in their discipline.
Career outcomesGraduating with a Doctor of Philosophy is ideal if you wish to pursue a career in industry, academia or government with specialisation in your chosen field.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The enrolment pattern of this program is required to reflect the following:
Research Methodology Course (Schedule A) must be completed in the first four units of enrolment.
Advanced Approved Course (Schedule B) must be completed within the first six units of enrolment.
Research Proposal for Confirmation of Candidature (Schedule C) must be completed after the successful completion of Schedule A and Schedule B Courses and within the first eight units of enrolment.
Independent Research Courses (Schedule D) to commence in parallel with Schedule A, B & C Courses as appropriate. After completion of 8 units, it is mandatory to have completed the Schedule C Course prior to enrolment further Schedule D courses.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesBusiness Administration Natural Sciences Liberal Arts View 3 other Masters in Natural Sciences in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS code: 088073M
- an Australian university Bachelor honours degree with First Class Honours or Second Class Honours (Division A) or equivalent, or
- an Australian university Masters degree (with a significant research component) or equivalent, or
- other qualifications and/or experiences equivalent to First Class or Second Class Honours (Division A).
International35280 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 35280 AUD per year and a duration of 36 months.
National29200 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 29200 AUD per year and a duration of 36 months.
- On-campus (lab doctoral research e.g. Engineering and Sciences) AUD 35280
- External/Online (lab doctoral research) AUD 31360
- On-campus (non-lab doctoral research e.g. Business and Management) AUD 28800
- External/Online (non-lab doctoral research) AUD 26320
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.