The justification of a doctorate program shares with the other programs a common motive: To provide scientific background to the student and enough expertise in experimental techniques that can be used by the candidate after finishing his doctoral thesis. The program also aims to form professionals who can easily enrol later in Universities, technological centres, and companies, being able to lead and develop research activities.
The field of Materials Science and Metallurgical Engineering has progressively been acquiring its own identity during the last three decades. In turns, this technology is under permanent developing, more than traditional scientific or technological disciplines.
The doctoral programme in Materials Science and Metallurgy has been prepared to encompass the following objectives:
- provide training in the experimental techniques needed for carrying out research tasks in this field
- introduce different materials (plastics, ceramics, biomaterials) not studied as part of the second cycle
- further scientific knowledge of the physical and mechanical behaviour of materials
- Biomaterials, Biomechanics and Tissue Engineering
- Light Alloys and Surface Treatments Design Centre
- Structural Integrity, Micromechanics and Reliability of Materials
- Surface Interaction in Bioengineering and Materials Science
- Polyfunctional polymeric materials
- Conformation Processes of Metallic Materials
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- CV of academic, professional and research activities, and portfolio designs.
- References to research projects completed and publications.
- Pre-proposal of the subject of the thesis (description, aims, methodology, point of view and bibliography). Maximum of five pages.
- Report by a lecturer backing the applicant.
International694 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2082 EUR for the full programme during 36 months.
National694 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2082 EUR for the full programme during 36 months.
Living costs for Barcelona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Research employment advice and support unit
To meet the growing demand for funding support, the RESEARCH EMPLOYMENT ADVICE AND SUPPORT UNIT assists in the management of predoctoral and postdoctoral grants and scholarships (official UPC grants, FPI grants from the Ministry of Science and Innovation, FPU grants from the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport and FI grants from the AGAUR).
Large families with concession card
- General category (3 or 4 children): a 50% reduction on the amount paid for academic university services (enrolment and administrative fees).
- Special category (5 or more children): a 100% reduction on the amount paid for academic university services (enrolment and administrative fees).
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.