The School of Arts and Humanities runs a central programme covering a range of skills relevant to doctoral students. Doctoral students may also be offered opportunities to do small-group teaching for the undergraduate Colleges and, in some cases, language teaching for the Faculty.
In British universities, the PhD (Doctorate of Philosophy) is traditionally awarded solely on the basis of a thesis, a substantial piece of writing which reports original research into a closely defined area of enquiry. The completion of the PhD thesis is generally expected to take three to four years, and most funding is based on this assumption. It's also possible to take a part-time route through research degrees, for which the expected timeframe would be five years.
During your research in the Slavonic Studies programme offered at The University of Cambridge, you will have the opportunity to work closely with a supervisor who is a specialist in your research area. You might reasonably expect to see your supervisor fortnightly or at least three times per term.
In addition to your supervisor, you will normally also be able to draw on the help and support of other members of the Section with expertise in your field of study.
- Thesis / Dissertation
- The thesis should represent a significant contribution to learning through the discovery of new knowledge or through the connection of previously unrelated facts, or the development of new theory, revision of older views or some combination of these. In writing the thesis you are expected to take account of previously published work on the subject and the thesis should be clearly and accurately written, paying due attention to English style and grammar.
- Candidates for the PhD in Cambridge are guided by a supervisor, though they will normally also discuss their work with a number of other experts in their field.
- 36 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Languages View 100 other PhDs in Language Studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Two academic references
- Evidence of competence in English
- Research proposal
- Sample of work
- Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK Masters (Distinction)
- If your degree is not from the UK, please check International Qualifications to find the equivalent in your country.
International25758 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25758 GBP per year during 36 months.
National8844 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8844 GBP per year during 36 months.
- National: £5,306
- International: £15,454
Living costs for Cambridge
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.