The Ph.D. in American Indian Studies from University of Arizona is an interdisciplinary program designed to: prepare graduate students for academic careers; conduct advanced and applied scholarly research from a cross-cultural perspective; develop theoretical and innovative theories, methodologies, and research tools appropriate for and useful to sovereign tribes; and to educate students to assume leadership and policy-making roles in higher education, tribal communities, the state and nation.
The Ph.D. program is designed to be completed in 3-4 years (after completing the Master's degree).
Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs
The Graduate College sponsors several Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs (GIDPs) in addition to the many interdisciplinary possibilities available through regular graduate degree programs. GIDPs transcend departmental boundaries by facilitating cutting edge teaching and research at the nexus of traditional disciplines.
The high value placed on interdisciplinary research and education is indicative of The University of Arizona's enthusiasm and commitment to fostering innovation and creativity among its faculty and students.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The equivalent of at least six semesters of full-time coursework (including dissertation units) is required for the Ph.D. Completion of a minimum of 66 units with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (comprised of 48 units of coursework and 18 units of dissertation credits) in American Indian Studies and related fields, are compulsory.
- All Incompletes in any AIS doctoral core course must be converted to a grade prior to the comprehensive exam; students may have one Incomplete on the grade record (in an elective course) and proceed to the Comprehensive exam, as long as overall GPA and credit requirements are fulfilled.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 39 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- On-line application and fee.
- A Personal Statement (3 to 5 pages) including your educational goals, professional plans, your interest in our Ph.D. program and your background in American Indian Studies or with American Indian communities.
- A Current Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
- One Writing Sample (between 15 and 20 pages double spaced) of original work that is academic, technical, professional or artistic in nature.
- One Critical Essay (no more than 5 pages double spaced) which analyzes three American Indian Studies books or monographs of your choice.
- Electronic copies of Official Transcripts from all institutions attended, undergraduate and graduate. On acceptance into the program students will need to submit original transcripts.
- Three Letters of Recommendation from faculty or supervisors who can attest to your achievements and academic potential. Letters from faculty are preferred for applicants currently or recently working in academia.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International20126 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10063 USD per semester during 24 months.
National20126 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10063 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State11938 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5969 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Tucson
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Graduate Teaching Assistantships are allocated each semester, prior to admission. Students are automatically considered for a GTA position their first year, with a short application process required for the subsequent years.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.