The majority of the Social Anthropology graduates at University of Cambridge, go on to jobs in academia, while others build very successful careers in the media, civil service, and the development sector, among others. The Cambridge University Department of Social Anthropology is unparalleled as a place to study for a PhD, combining world-class teaching and resources with a friendly but intellectually challenging atmosphere.
The PhD course is intended for students who already have full training at undergraduate and/or Master's level in the methods and perspectives of Social/Cultural Anthropology.
- The Pre-Fieldwork seminar
- The Ethnographic Methods Course
- Senior Research Seminar
- Anthropological Lives explores the lives of anthropologists who made striking and distinctive career decisions and/ or unexpected use of their anthropological material
- The series reflects both ongoing and new knowledge and interests on the part of Departmental teaching staff, with contributions from former Department members now based elsewhere
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesAnthropology Sociology View 24 other PhDs in Anthropology in United Kingdom
- Two academic references
- Evidence of competence in English
- Sample of work
- Research proposal
International25758 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25758 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA8844 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8844 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Cambridge
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.