In the Department of Biomedical Engineering, we make significant contributions in science and medicine that include new medical devices, biomaterials, clinical methods, and insight into how living organisms function.
PhD candidates will work in close collaboration with prominent faculty and clinicians to develop interdisciplinary skills and become leaders in academia and industry. Columbia Biomedical Engineering provides unparalleled access to the nation’s top research hospitals and clinical collaborators at Columbia University Irving Medical Center, as well as the unique opportunity to live and study in the heart of New York City.
- The Department of Biomedical Engineering has been supported by grants obtained from NIH, NSF, DoT, DoD, New York State, numerous research foundations, and university funding.
- The extensive new facilities that have recently been added both at the Medical Center and Morningside campus include new teaching and research laboratories that provide students with unusual access to contemporary research equipment specially selected for its relevance to biomedical engineering.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Biology General Engineering & Technology View 181 other PhDs in Biology in United States
- Applicants to the Ph.D. program must have a master’s degree or equivalent.
- All applicants are expected to have earned a bachelor’s degree in engineering or other science, and are required to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE – general test only).
- Students who earned their bachelor’s degree in a country where English is not the dominant language will be required to take the TOFEL.
Living costs for Manhattan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- Students admitted to the graduate program are eligible for merit-based financial aid. Research assistantships are provided to all students admitted into the doctoral program, and they provide a yearly stipend of approximately $25,500 along with tuition wavier. However, all graduate students (and applicants) are strongly encouraged to apply for external funding and fellowships.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.