The Department aims to provide an inspiring and vibrant environment for postgraduate research, to support the development of research and presentation skills, and to respond to the academic needs of our students. We create opportunities for interdisciplinary interaction and we pride ourselves on helping our students to extend their professional networks by organizing conferences, seminars and events that aim to establish close links with the media industry and the local and international academic community.
The members of the Department of Communications are actively engaged in challenging projects and publications, and in a broad range of extracurricular activities such as: creative media projects, organization of media related festivals and other cultural events; professional training and consultancies in a variety of fields such as Media Literacy and Education, Digital Media and Learning, Film Policy, Community Media, Transmedia and Digital Storytelling and Social Media Management.
Prospective PhD students are welcome to approach the Department at any time in the academic year. You are strongly advised to contact the Doctoral Degree Coordinator before making a formal application. This helps us to ensure that we can offer you the best support and put you in contact with the member of the Department who has the expertise to help and guide you.
People who complete successfully the doctoral programme will be able to:
- Work as Research Faculty Members in tertiary education institutions.
- Exercise a leadership role in the media, e.g. the industry or the academic world.
- Be appointed as high officials in various departments/services of Ministries associated with the function and contribution of the media to social and cultural development.
- Exercise an administrative and/or supervisory role in public or private institutions of higher education, in research centers or in consulting units.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Doctoral Course - Fall semester
- Doctoral Course - Spring semester
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
Application Deadlines for European and Local Students - Please call the Office of Admissions
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences Media Studies & Mass Media Digital Communication
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed Application Form
- A copy of your passport (page with your personal details and photo)
- Academic Records (True copy of the original)
- Two Letters of recommendation/reference from professors or employers. Certain programmes have additional requirements
- Curriculum Vitae–CV
- Personal Statement
- Research proposal
- Evidence of work experience (where applicable)
- Portfolio (for selected programmes of study)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International4500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13500 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA4500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13500 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.