- Complex phenomena such as occurring in contact mechanics and tribology, porous media, fluid-solid interactions, phase transformations, non-smooth mechanics, and multidisciplinary extensions such as thermo-hydro-mechanics and chemo-mechanics attract our particular attention. The objective of the program is to educate and train in the modern aspects of mechanics highly knowledgeable and innovative research scientists and engineers.
- The ambition of the program is to cover the theoretical formulation (functional, variational and differential), the numerical simulation (space, time and matter discretisations) and the experimental identification (heterogenous/anisotropic material testing, optical diagnostic techniques, signal processing) of relevant mechanics problems. On the theoretical side, contemporary multiscale models (hierarchical, reduced, ...) and correlated micro-macro scale bridging methods (homogeneisation, ...) are emphasized in several courses and proposed as thesis subjects.
Fields of research in the doctoral program in Mechanics are:
- Fluid Mechanics
- Solid Mechanics.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Generally, candidates should apply to the doctoral program of their choice, by its fixed deadlines. However, programs sometimes also publish specific offers.
- A first selection phase consists of the evaluation of your application file. Admission being extremely competitive, it is crucial to prepare it very carefully.
- Your application will be submitted directly to your chosen doctoral program. A committee will evaluate and make a decision on your application, taking into account the research interests and potential thesis directors you indicate.
Living costs for Lausanne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.