Why This Education (Research) Programme?
- The Doctorate is comparable to a PhD in terms of scale and rigour. It differs in that it provides a structured programme of advanced study that is relevant to your profession and focused on the inter-relationship of research, policy and practice.
- There’s a focus on collaborative learning, drawing on your own experiences and those of your academic colleagues.
- As you focus your studies into specialist areas, you will benefit from the activity of our five knowledge and research transfer groups: Creativity, culture and faith; Interdisciplinary science education, technologies and learning; Professional learning and leadership; Pedagogy, policy and practice; Social justice, place and lifelong education.
This programme at University of Glasgow will give you the skills and confidence to further advance your career – to the highest levels in education and education-related fields.
Years 1, 2 and 3
- Critical reflection in professional learning and practice
- Education policy
- Educational futures
- Ethics and education OR Lifelong learning
- Open studies one: Advancing research methods
- Open studies two: Applying research methods
Years 3 and 4
Work towards the submission of a dissertation of 50,000 to 60,000 words, supported by an appropriate supervisor.
You normally undertake two courses per year. Progressing at a normal pace, successful candidates can complete the Doctorate in five years. However, we realize that circumstances occasionally mean participants need to take a break from studies and the programme allows candidates to suspend their studies for a limited time period.
The EdD is aimed primarily at professionals working at all levels and sectors in education, training and development, and in education-related fields. Current students, from the UK and abroad, are drawn from schools, further and higher education, non-government organizations, adult and community education, youth development, children’s services, local government, and health education.
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation Educational Research Teaching View 3 other PhDs in Teaching in United Kingdom
- Masters level qualification in education or a cognate subject area.
- As well as two academic references, you also need to submit samples of recent academic writing, such as assignments and a dissertation, as part of your application.
International7565 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7565 GBP per year during 60 months.
National3450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3450 GBP per year during 60 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.