A great deal of our research centres on the nature of connections:
- connections between places
- connections between times
- connections between disciplines.
Global culture and history are fundamental to our work. We research how Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries shaped the world, across Europe, America, Africa and Asia. We ask how they fit into the wider globe. We explore new ways to express those relationships, including through digital humanities.
We welcome applications from students wishing to pursue tailor-made research to master's or doctoral level. All postgraduates participate in a vigorous programme of research events and make key contributions to the research activities of the department, the School of Modern Languages and the faculty.
The majority of graduates from the Hispanic, Portuguese and Latin American Studies programme offered by the University of Bristol develop careers as academics in higher education, while maintaining the capacity to undertake new and innovative research in the field of Hispanic, Portuguese and Latin American studies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Areas of research included:
- Volcanoes and disasters (School of Earth Sciences)
- Atlantic studies (School of Arts, School of Humanities)
- Sport (Department of Italian, School of History of Art)
- Internationalism (School of History of Art)
- Linguistics (Department of German)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies Languages View 101 other PhDs in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A master's qualification, or be working towards a master's qualification, or international equivalent. Applicants without a master's qualification may be considered on an exceptional basis, provided they hold a first-class undergraduate degree (or international equivalent).
- Applicants with a non-traditional background may be considered provided they can demonstrate substantial equivalent and relevant experience that has prepared them to undertake their proposed course of study.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19500 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4565 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4565 GBP per year during 36 months.
- UK: part-time £2,283
Living costs for Bristol
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.