A great deal of our research centres on the nature of connections:
- connections between places
- connections between times
- connections between disciplines.
Global culture and history are fundamental to our work. We research how Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries shaped the world, across Europe, America, Africa and Asia. We ask how they fit into the wider globe. We explore new ways to express those relationships, including through digital humanities.
We welcome applications from students wishing to pursue tailor-made research to master's or doctoral level. All postgraduates participate in a vigorous programme of research events and make key contributions to the research activities of the department, the School of Modern Languages and the faculty.
The majority of graduates from the Hispanic, Portuguese and Latin American Studies programme offered by the University of Bristol develop careers as academics in higher education, while maintaining the capacity to undertake new and innovative research in the field of Hispanic, Portuguese and Latin American studies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Areas of research included:
- Volcanoes and disasters (School of Earth Sciences)
- Atlantic studies (School of Arts, School of Humanities)
- Sport (Department of Italian, School of History of Art)
- Internationalism (School of History of Art)
- Linguistics (Department of German)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 96 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies Languages View 101 other PhDs in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Bristol and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A master's qualification, or be working towards a master's qualification, or international equivalent. Applicants without a master's qualification may be considered on an exceptional basis, provided they hold a first-class undergraduate degree (or international equivalent). Applicants with a non-traditional background may be considered provided they can demonstrate substantial equivalent and relevant experience that has prepared them to undertake their proposed course of study.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International20100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20100 GBP per year during 48 months.
National4665 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4665 GBP per year during 48 months.
UK: part-time (two years)
- £2,332 per year
Living costs for Bristol
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.