The doctoral program in Environmental Sciences and Policy at Central European University (CEU) is led by faculty from various disciplines with research experience in diverse thematic and geographic contexts, which fosters an environment conducive to interdisciplinary research. The PhD program aims to combine breadth and depth of interdisciplinary learning about the environment with professional development skills. The program begins with an introduction to a wide range of theoretical and methodological approaches, which allows students to choose the most appropriate combination for their research, and continues with custom-tailored theory and methods classes to facilitate in-depth research skills for their empirical projects. Teaching and research practica facilitate opportunities to develop teaching, presentation, and publication skills.
The graduates emerge from the program with a broad understanding of diverse approaches to environmental problems, extensive practical research experience, professional networks and analytical and practical thinking skills with a commitment and capacity to addressing environmental challenges.
CEU Virtual Open Week / March 1-5
Join the CEU Virtual Open Week between March 1 and 5 to experience what it's like to be a student at Central European University. Check out the online lectures and podcasts offered by CEU departments, sign up for open classes to get a sneak peek into the CEU learning experience, and book an online one-on-one consultation to get all your questions answered. Find out more on our website.
- Program approved and registered by the New York State Education Department
- Program registered as a non-degree post-graduate specialization program by the Hungarian Educational Authority (HEA)
- Program subject to accreditation by the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ-Austria)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Comprehensive Examination
- Dissertation Prospectus Draft, Preparation and Defense
- The Doctoral Dissertation (Research and Writing I-II., Finalization)
- Methods Study Courses
- PhD Writing Issues and Challenges
- Preliminary Literature Review, Problem Statement and Research Questions
- Professional Advancement Practicum
- Theoretical Debates on Environmental Problems
- Theory Study Courses
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEnvironmental Economics & Policy Environmental Management Environmental Sciences
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed online application form: www.ceu.edu/apply
- Proof of English proficiency
- Letters of recommendation
- Master’s degree in a related field
- Academic records
- Research proposal
- Statement of purpose
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Candidates who apply by February 1, 2021 are automatically considered for CEU Doctoral Scholarship.
In pursuit of its mission, CEU strives to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world, offering generous scholarships available to students from any country. Doctoral scholarships include a full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend for living expenses. Learn more at www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.