The doctoral program in Environmental Sciences and Policy at Central European University (CEU) is led by faculty from various disciplines with research experience in diverse thematic and geographic contexts, which fosters an environment conducive to interdisciplinary research. The PhD program aims to combine breadth and depth of interdisciplinary learning about the environment with professional development skills.
What you'll study
The program begins with an introduction to a wide range of theoretical and methodological approaches, which allows students to choose the most appropriate combination for their research, and continues with custom-tailored theory and methods classes to facilitate in-depth research skills for their empirical projects. Teaching and research practica facilitate opportunities to develop teaching, presentation, and publication skills.
The graduates emerge from the program with a broad understanding of diverse approaches to environmental problems, extensive practical research experience, professional networks and analytical and practical thinking skills with a commitment and capacity to addressing environmental challenges.
- Program approved and registered by the New York State Education Department
- Program accredited by the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ-Austria)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Environmental Management
- Introduction to Environmental Policy and Society
- Sustainable Energy Transitions
- Industrial-Hazardous Waste Management and Pollution Control
- Environmental Justice, Politics, and Humanities
- Environmental History of Eastern Europe/Northern Eurasia
- Environmental Pollution and Biological Remediation Methods
- Resource Management and Pollution Control
- Global Food, Agriculture, and Development
- Biodiversity & Conservation
- Sustainable Water Management
- Ecological Economics
- Environmental Philosophy
- Academic Writing
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Feb. 1: financial aid
- March 15: self-financing candidates requiring a study visa
- Aug. 15: self-financing candidates not requiring a study visa
U.S. credits: 72
DisciplinesEnvironmental Economics & Policy Environmental Management Environmental Sciences
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed online application form: www.ceu.edu/apply
- Proof of English proficiency
- Letters of recommendation
- Master’s degree in a related field
- Academic records
- Research proposal
- Statement of purpose
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 EUR per year during 48 months.
- Full-time doctoral students are eligible for full tuition waivers and living stipends.
- Doctoral programs (year 1): 15,000 EUR
- Doctoral programs after comprehensive examination (year 2 and 3): 7,500 EUR
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In pursuit of its mission, CEU strives to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world, offering generous scholarships available to students from any country. Doctoral scholarships include a full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend for living expenses. Learn more at www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.