The PhD program in Late Antique, Medieval and Early Modern Studies at Central European University (CEU) has earned international recognition for its methodological richness and the application of innovative research tools. The curriculum stresses the interconnectedness of various disciplines, emphasizing multi- and interdisciplinary comparative research.
The departmental faculty of recognized experts in their respective fields provides students with supervision and guidance not only to help them accomplish the immediate goal of submitting their dissertations successfully within three to six years, but also to assist them with regard to their future careers. Many alumni of the PhD program in Medieval Studies are pursuing regional or international careers in universities, museums, archives, or cultural heritage institutions.
- Program approved and registered by the New York State Education Department
- Program accredited by the Hungarian Accreditation Committee (HAC)
- Program accredited by the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ-Austria)
- Advanced Greek reading seminar
- Advanced Readings in Arabic Historiography
- Advanced Source Reading Class in Ottoman Historiography (16th-17th Centuries)
- Critical Theory and the Medieval Text: Reading Medieval Latin Literature
- Dynastic States and Royal Courts in Early Modern Eurasian History (1450-1700)
- Early Christianity: from Messianic Sect to State Religion
- Global Comparisons: Russia and the Ottoman Empire, 1453-1839
- Greek Palaeography and Codicology
- History of Daily Life
- Introduction to Interdisciplinary Medieval Studies
- Introduction to Research Resources for Medievalists
- Medieval Philosophy and Theology: the Beatific Vision Debate (1331-36)
- Reading Late Ancient and Medieval Autobiographies
- Sources, Methods and New Perspectives in Ottoman History (15th to 18th centuries)
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 3 other PhDs in History in Austria
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed online application form: www.ceu.edu/apply
- Proof of English proficiency
- Letters of recommendation
- Master’s degree in any field of medieval, or related, studies
- Academic records
- Outline of master’s thesis
- Research proposal and feasibility study
- Advanced knowledge of one or more source languages
- Demonstrated familiarity with research methods in medieval studies
Candidates who apply by February 1, 2021 are automatically considered for CEU Doctoral Scholarship.
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In pursuit of its mission, CEU strives to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world, offering generous scholarships available to students from any country. Doctoral scholarships include a full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend for living expenses. Learn more at www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.