The Copenhagen Bioscience programme at the University of Copenhagen is divided into a pre-doctoral year followed by three years of PhD training at one of the four Novo Nordisk Foundation Research Centers embedded at the University of Copenhagen or the Technical University of Denmark:
- Center for Stem Cell Biology
- Center for Protein Research
- Center for Biosustainability
- Center for Basic Metabolic Research
The pre-doctoral year includes short rotation projects, choice of a lab for the long-term (PhD) project, and common research-based courses. Approximately 15% of time during the pre-doctoral year is spent on courses, and the remaining 85% on lab-based research. All awardees must pass an assessment at the end of the pre-doctoral year to qualify for the following three years of PhD education.
All students in the Copenhagen Bioscience PhD programme complete three two-week rotation projects at the start of the pre-doctoral year. These rotation projects allow students to gain experience with the methods, important scientific questions and research environment in the labs they are interested in joining.
During each rotation project, the student and supervisor are expected to discuss potential long-term project ideas. After completing the three rotation projects, the student makes an agreement with one of their rotation supervisors to join their lab for the long-term (PhD) project.
- The pre-doctoral year includes short rotation projects, choice of a lab for the long-term (PhD) project, and common research-based courses. Approximately 15% of time during the pre-doc year is spent on courses, and the remaining 85% on lab-based research. Students make an agreement with a supervisor to join their lab for the long-term (PhD) project approximately two months after starting the programme.
- The pre-doc curriculum is designed to introduce the range of world-class research at the Centers and encourage collaborative research ideas. It also equips students with practical and analytical skills essential for their PhD projects, builds researcher networks, and supports development of PhD project plans. This generates a broad base of knowledge, expertise and contacts.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Applicants must fulfill the following:
- Submit a fully completed application form before the deadline via the Novo Nordisk Foundation web-based application system.
- Provide a minimum of two academic references.
- Hold, or anticipate receiving before enrolment, a university degree that formally qualifies the applicant to enter a PhD programme (typically a Master’s degree).
- Hold, or anticipate receiving before enrolment, a university degree from outside of Denmark.
- The programme is also open for applicants with a Danish degree who can document at least 12 months of full-time research experience from outside Denmark, confirmed by at least one of the academic references.
- Provide proof of English language skills (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, GRE scores).
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 48 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 48 months.
Living costs for Copenhagen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.