About the programme
The The Architecture and Design programme of The Oslo School of Architecture and Design fulfills the grounds for the award of an academic Doctor of Philosophy. The PhD is examined by a committee of three peers based on the assessment of:
- a document of record (the “thesis”)
- an aural examination (disputas)
- a trial lecture
We supervise PhD projects in all aspects of design, history and theory of architecture, preservation, architecture and its technologies, urbanism and landscape studies.
Today AHO supports PhDs through the Research School and via its structure of four focused research centres. AHO has internationally recognized staff leading research in all four areas and is seeing growth in external grant funding effecting PhDs. Particular areas of development are the growth in industrially funded PhDs in design and architecture, and PhDs recruited within externally funded higher research project across all areas.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- For more information, please visit the programme page.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- To be admitted to AHOs PhD programme, the applicant must document a completed master degree or equivalent to it. Previous experience from research or through post-graduate master education will be an advantage.
- AHO only accept fully financed external PhD candidates. Financing for three year of full time studies must be documented. AHO does not accept student’s financed out of one’s own capital, the financing must be provided by external sources as Universities or University colleges, the Norwegian Research Council or businesses.
- Candidates financed through AHO’s own PhD positions or by external financed AHO projects are employed by the school and receive a monthly salary during the PhD education period. Students employed by other universities or university colleges can also apply to be admitted to the PhD programme.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
Students at AHO must remember to pay the semester fee and register through studentweb before 1 September.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.