You will study in a world-class research environment which enables both practice-led and/or entirely text based PhD research to be developed to the highest level, on this Art and Design programme from Birmingham City University.
A PhD enables you to follow a programme of self-directed, independent study, supported by experienced supervisors who are themselves experts in their area. You will also be supported by the wider research community in Art and Design and you will have regular opportunities to attend research seminars, conferences and symposia.
Our PhD gives you the opportunity to spend time researching and developing a deep understanding of a unique area of interest whilst contributing world-leading insight to the academic specialisms in Art and Design at Birmingham City University.
- Art Activisms
- Centre for Chinese Visual Arts (CCVA)
- Centre for Printing History and Culture (CPHC)
- Craft Cultures
- Dress in Context
- Material Encounters
- Urban Cultures
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Graphic Design View 26 other PhDs in Design in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- To apply for our Art and Design PhD research degree you should have, or expect to be awarded, a Masters degree in a relevant subject area from a British or overseas university.
- Exceptional candidates without a Masters degree, but holding a first class Bachelors degree in a relevant subject area, may be considered.
- We also welcome enquiries from potential PhD researchers without formal academic qualifications but with appropriate levels of professional experience.
- If you intend to take a practice-led research approach to your PhD study, then you will expected to show your portfolio as part of the application process, normally at the formal interview stage.
To be confirmed.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.