The 3-year Infection Biology programs at Hannover Medical School, with English as the teaching language, play a pivotal role in the training of young scientists in the field of infection biology. The objective of both programs is to investigate the complex interactions between host and pathogen as well as basic research with the combined tools of immunology, cell biology and molecular biology.
20 students from across the world are accepted each year after a rigorous selection procedure. The study program Infection Biology is supported by the Wilhelm-Hirte Foundation, by scholarships provided by Hannover Medical School and through Georg-Christoph-Lichtenberg scholarships and administrative positions by the Ministry of Science and Culture of Lower Saxony. The first DEWIN-class was supported by Georg-Christoph-Lichtenberg scholarships. Since Fall 2004, the European Union has participated in sponsoring PhD students via the elite program "Miditrain" which is funded by the EU "Marie Curie Actions" program.
Officially accredited/recognized by the Niedersächsisches Ministerium für Wissenschaft und Kultur (Ministry for Science and Culture of Lower Saxony), Medizinische Hochschule Hannover (MH-Hannover) is a small (enrollment range: 3,000-3,999 students) coeducational higher education institution.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Application of Real-time PCR
- Basic Laboratory Animal Science
- Bio Informatics
- Digital Fluorescence microscopy techniques, confocal microscopy and cell transfection
- Gene technology
- Molecular typecasting of bacterial infection pathogenes.
- Micro-Array, Cell Sorting
- Preparation and normalisation of bacterial RNA for the selective capture of transcribed sequences [SCOTS]
- Proteome analysis, digital fluorescence microscopy
- Retroviral gene transfer
- Subtractive panning of Phage peptide libraries
- PowerPoint presentation skills
- Scientific writing
- Stress management
- Conflict management
- Presentation techniques
- Research skills development
- Scientific English
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The 3-year study program is aimed at university post-graduates (MSc/Diploma or equivalent) in life science fields as well as those who have graduated in human or veterinary medicine. Candidates should be highly motivated, have an active interest in the field of infection biology and have experience of laboratory work.
- English is the teaching and communication language of the program, therefore excellent English skills are a basic requirement. Proficiency is to be attested by certificates (TOEFL, IELTS etc.) or a short statement showing that you are a native speaker or have carried out higher-education studies in English. Your fluency will be assessed in the interview.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 30 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 30 months.
Living costs for Hannover
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.