The Education and ICT (e-learning) doctoral programme at Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (UOC) focuses on the study of the phenomena linked electronic teaching and learning, the institutional or social framework, and technology-mediated online learning systems in general in any geographic or cultural setting, while also opening up this focus to include any innovative research that uses ICT in the framework of education. To do so, the programme offers interdisciplinary work that currently covers fields of knowledge as diverse as psychology and pedagogy or computer engineering, law, tourism, economics, mathematics and the humanities, among others.
The doctoral programme in Education and ICT (e-learning) combines study and research. The period of study undertaken prior to the research phase takes place within the research pathway of the UOC university master's degree in Education and ICT (e-learning) or a similar master's degree that ensures the candidate is equipped to successfully conduct original research that advances knowledge in the field of e-learning.
During the period of research, students focus on acquiring the skills they will need to embark on their journey in the field of e-learning research. This period also prepares them for the next stage: writing a doctoral research plan that will lead to them being awarded a doctoral degree and, therefore, to the recognition of their research capabilities.
When entering the doctoral programme research period, the University provides the student with a set of training activities designed to adapt their training to the needs of their doctoral thesis project and to develop the skills associated with participation in academic life.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureThe programme offers the following research lines:
- Responsive Teaching and Learning Processes and Outcomes in Online Education
- Challenges for Sustainable Management and Organization in Online Education
- Technologies for Supporting Teaching and Learning
- Flexible and Open Online Education
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A photocopy of their DNI, NIE or passport.
- A statement of interest in which the candidate makes a short presentation of their career and explains the candidate's specific reasons for applying to the programme (their motivations), a description of their research interests, as well as a brief research proposal and the links with the research group.
- A letter of endorsement that appears in the name of research that supports the personal doctoral project, as well as its intention to be your tutor.
- A curriculum that describes the programmes and master's degree or postgraduate courses the candidate has taken that are related to the research interests described in the statement of interest and, if applicable, a description of previous scientific output.
- An example of a recent academic paper (in Catalan, Spanish or English).
- Certificate of the level of English required by the doctoral programme.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.