Focus on sustainability implies that specialization of agricultural science, necessary to deal with increasing complexity, is accompanied by a strong commitment to take into account systemic implications, including unintended consequences of given technological solutions.
For this reason, a large involvement of stakeholders in the definition of sustainability goals, research goals and methods is needed.
Aims and scope
The Agriculture, Food and Environment program at University of Pisa aims at training researchers with an up-to-date, excellent disciplinary ground and with a deep understanding of the systemic implications of their specific field of activity and awareness of the importance of mutual learning with enterprises, administrations and civil society.
To this purpose, we have built an interdisciplinary program combining agricultural sciences with a selected range of biological disciplines. Its scope is articulated around three main areas:
- biological basis of food sustainability
- sustainability of food production systems
- food quality and safety
The Phd program will encourage the development of a common systemic approach through its training program, which will be centered upon the principles of sustainability science, and through its partnership strategy.
In this sense, specific agreements with external institutions (Italian National Research Council, F.A.O.) and also with some firms (as for example ABOCA s.r.l.) are established for specific research themes, with double (university and external institution) supervision.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- food science and technology;
- genomics, proteomics and metabolomics of species of agricultural interest;
- multifunctional agriculture;
- plant and animal production systems, even in urban environment;
- plant physiology, ecology and biochemistry;
- plant, animal and microbial biotechnologies;
- technologies for plant and soil protection and environmental bioremediation
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFood Sciences Agriculture View 3 other Masters in Food Sciences in Italy
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The candidate must be in possession of a Master's degree, or an equivalent academic qualification obtained abroad.
- This diploma will be examined and verified by the examining boards or the PhD Council.
International356 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 356 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA356 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 356 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
Depending on the country of origin and can vary from 356,000 euros up to 2.452,00 euros (including € 140,00 for Regional taxes, and € 16.00 for stamp duty).
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.