Why choose this Media and Communications (Postgraduate Research) programme at University of Wolverhampton?
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a research degree with the Faculty of Arts. We will be delighted to discuss your area of interest with you but, before doing so, it is important to determine whether or not we can offer research supervision in your chosen area. Please follow the link shown below to review our current areas of research supervision.
We help our students to develop the relevant research skills and methods and also support the development of related skills such as IT, presentation and career planning.
This approach, together with the relevant research expertise and resources support the completion of high-quality research degree programmes.
Potential Career Paths
Successful completion of your PhD opens up a range of career opportunities and demonstrates your proven skills as a researcher. In Film, Media and Broadcasting, having a PhD is now an essential element for those looking to develop a career in lecturing or research within higher education. As well as demonstration of your research skills, a PhD shows your extensive knowledge of a particular field in an applied and rigorous manner that is attractive to employers.
In addition to developing competence in a range of intellectual skills that can be advantageous to the majority of occupations, a PhD in Film or Media is academically relevant to careers in the arts and media, leading to employment in arts administration, film archiving, film and media research, film journalism, filmmaking, animation, photography, film event management, and teaching.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Details of current and recent research degree topics include:
- Interactive multimedia in teaching and learning; instructional design; online and distance learning
- Social, political, and cultural aspects of narrated space in Film; the work of Nanni Moretti
- The nature of Public Service Broadcasting in a digital media environment and the impact of therapeutic culture on education policy and practice
- Franny Armstrong followed her film McLibel (2005) on the Macdonald's libel case by directing The Age of Stupid (2009), a box office docudrama on climate change. Currently working on a drama series on the undercover police's infiltration of the British activist movement.
- e-learning and studio based practice in art and design; user experience design in both work-based and educational contexts
- 48 months
- 96 months
Start dates & application deadlines
Variable start date
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Management Media Studies & Mass Media View 19 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
When making your PhD or MPhil application, in addition to completing your personal information and qualifications you will be asked to outline the topic that you wish to research in a ‘Research Statement’.
What to include in your Research Statement?
We recommend that you include the following in your research statement:
- A draft title
- A clear statement of the aims and objectives of the proposed research
- A brief literature review (noting the key writing in the area, perhaps as primary and secondary literature)
- Outline of the scope of your research
- Outline of the intended methodology (which academic discipline/s will you be looking to? Which body or bodies of theoretical work will inform your approach?)
International13645 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13645 GBP per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4407 GBP per year during 48 months.
- Home/EU - 2204 GBP per year.
- International - 6823 GBP per year.
Living costs for Wolverhampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.