is to give each student the best possible foundation from which to launch further research and career development. We help our students to develop the relevant research skills and methods and also support the development of related skills such as IT, presentation and career planning.
Potential Career Paths
- Successful completion of the Art and Design (Postgraduate Research) programme offered by the University of Wolverhampton opens up a range of career opportunities and demonstrates your proven skills as a researcher. In Film, Media and Broadcasting, having a PhD is now an essential element for those looking to develop a career in lecturing or research within higher education. As well as demonstration of your research skills, a PhD shows your extensive knowledge of a particular field in an applied and rigorous manner that is attractive to employers.
- In addition to developing competence in a range of intellectual skills that can be advantageous to the majority of occupations, a PhD in Film or Media is academically relevant to careers in the arts and media, leading to employment in arts administration, film archiving, film and media research, film journalism, filmmaking, animation, photography, film event management, and teaching.
Details of current and recent research degree topics include:
- Classical and modern portraiture; contemporary art theory and phototheory; post-60s critical theory
- Postwar art (especially Francis Bacon); death of God theologies (especially Georges Bataille); art and theology; critical theory; abjection; visual communication, especially theories of branding.
- Ornament, explored through painting and collage.
- 48 months
- 96 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Variable start date.
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Liberal Arts View 29 other PhDs in Liberal Arts in United Kingdom
- a first or upper second class honours degree, or
- a master’s degree, or
- evidence of prior practice or learning that is accepted by the Dean of Research.
International13350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13350 GBP per year during 48 months.
National4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4407 GBP per year during 48 months.
- Home/EU - 2204 GBP per year.
- International - 6823 GBP per year.
Living costs for Wolverhampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.