The first year comprises the curricular component (60 ECTS) structured in modules of advanced training courses and seminars, in several thematic areas of the scientific domain of: Civil Engineering , comprising the curricular units of Advanced Studies in Civil Engineering (12 ECTS), Monitoring and Observation of Works (6 ECTS) and Research Project Seminar (30 ECTS); Management, with the Entrepreneurship course unit (6 ECTS); and yet, an optional curricular unit from any scientific area (6 ECTS), this curricular unit should be advised by the doctoral student's supervisor, when available. At the end of the first year, the student, within the Research Project Seminar curricular unit, will have to present and publicly defend his / her doctoral work plan before a jury, with the continuation of his / her studies dependent on a positive evaluation of this curricular unit. .
Civil Engineering students at the Universidade de Aveiro may be exempted from attending one or more components of the 1st curricular year, in accordance with the stipulations in the Regulations of the Doctoral Program in Civil Engineering of the AU. The curricular component has a study plan approved, individually for each student, by the Scientific Committee of the Doctoral Program in Civil Engineering at the University of Aveiro (CC-PDCiv-UA), based on the proposal of the supervisor and co-supervisors (if any). CC-PDCiv-UA publishes the list of curricular units with conditions to work in the curricular part of PDCiv-UA, including the curricular units of master's courses or other doctoral programs that are deemed appropriate.
This is followed by a second year with a research component leading to the presentation of a thesis, which lasts for the third year, with a weight of 60 ECTS each year, totaling 120 ECTS in the three years of full-time research work. The thesis should deal with original research in a field chosen by the student, within the area of ??Civil Engineering. The normal duration of the doctorate is four years full-time or its equivalent part-time. In exceptional circumstances, and at the request of the student, the deadline for delivering the thesis may be brought forward in relation to the two years dedicated to the development of the research work or extended, under the terms of the AU Doctoral Regulations, with the application being made up to 90 days respectively. before the date on which the student intends to deliver the thesis or the deadline.
The PhD degree in Civil Engineering is awarded to students who demonstrate:
- Ability to systematically understand the scientific domain under study;
- Competencies, skills and research methods associated with the scientific domain under study;
- Ability to conceive, design, adapt and carry out significant research, respecting the requirements imposed by academic quality and integrity standards;
- Have carried out a significant set of original research works that have contributed to the widening of the frontiers of knowledge, part of which deserves international dissemination in publications with a selection committee;
- Be able to critically analyze, evaluate and synthesize new and complex ideas;
- Be able to communicate with peers, with the rest of the academic community and with society in general about their area of specialization;
- Be able, in a knowledge-based society, to promote, in an academic or professional context, technological, social or cultural progress.
The Program is open to the involvement of public or private entities and institutions that host research projects, taking care to harmonize the interests of external organizations involved in them with the requirements that a doctorate imposes.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Studies in Civil Engineering
- Structural Monitoring and Observation
- Seminar of Research Project
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCivil Engineering & Construction General Engineering & Technology View 45 other PhDs in General Engineering & Technology in Portugal
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Applicants for enrolment will be selected by the Scientific Council of the University of Aveiro in accordance with the proposal made by the Director of the Study Cycle, taking intoaccount the following parameters:
- Academic curriculum;
- Scientific curriculum and /or Professional curriculum.
- An interview and / or a written test may be required as complementary criteria.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International2750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2750 EUR per year during 36 months.
National2750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2750 EUR per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Aveiro
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.