The Business Administration (DBA) (Online) programme of Teesside University gives you the opportunity to combine advanced study with professional experience. The structure allows you to gain knowledge and confidence in academic research at the beginning of the programme, followed by support from your supervisory team during the DBA Advanced Independent Work module. In the online learning environment you will study your two taught modules through a range of interactions that offer both synchronous and asynchronous learning opportunities. You will begin the first module Research Methods for Doctoral Students in the first trimester of your studies, followed by the second taught module Applying Management and Organisational Studies Research.
Upon successful completion of the two taught modules you will progress onto the DBA Advanced Independent Study module, which is a supervised module working with an allocated supervisory team on your research thesis. Examples of previous research include studies of commitment to personal development, changes in public sector organisation, and the impact of organisational culture on efficiency. All DBA lecturers are research-active and able to supervise a wide range of academic and practical research topics. You are encouraged to develop your reflexivity, positioning yourself as a critically informed practitioner. There is a possibility to choose between two pathways (part-time or full-time) depending on personal and professional circumstances. The programme allows you to build on previous learning in an area of business and/or management and expand skills and knowledge to undertake a doctoral-level study.
The overall aims of the online DBA programme are to develop leaders to:
- be proficient in research, methodological and analytical skills
- think critically and have the ability to deal with complex, interdisciplinary facets of organisations
- foster professional development skills
- reflect upon theory and applied experiences to enhance managerial practice and/or your respective organisation.
Typically graduates move into senior management and strategic leadership roles, internal consultant/project leadership roles or into external consultancy roles. DBA applicants are expected to be relatively senior business-based professionals at point of entry, so whilst the course will allow you to build on your existing work experience and skills, it will develop you as a research-informed business leader who is able to apply best practice within your organisational context and towards your own managerial practices.
- Applying Management and Organisational Studies Research
- DBA Advanced Independent Study
- Research Methods for Doctoral Students
- 27 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesBusiness Administration Management, Organisation & Leadership International Business View 7 other PhDs in Management, Organisation & Leadership in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
The DBA (Online) is designed for people who have achieved, or expect to achieve, senior organisational positions and/or who wish to enhance their analytical and research skills and knowledge.
- A master's degree. Applicants should have a master's degree in a subject that has aspects that relate to business and/or management.
- +3 years' management experience. All applicants should have a minimum three years' managerial experience.
- Research proposal. All applicants are required to complete a short research proposal. Please find our research proposal template. We recommend allowing one month to create your research proposal (prior to application). It's best to download the template now.
- Applicants whose first language is not English will need to satisfy the English language requirements which are a minimum overall score of 6.5 IELTS, and 5.5 in each band.
- All prospective students will be interviewed.
International19740 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19740 GBP per year during 27 months.
National19740 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19740 GBP per year during 27 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.