The PhDs in Petroleum Engineering from Instituto Superior Técnico will have advanced knowledge and skills on this area, in particular in the domains with more relevance in the current development context: Prospection and Reservoirs, Production and Production Support Systems.
It was recently created the “IST – Oil and Gas” platform, the seed for a network of research centres of IST developing research work, directly or indirectly, related to the exploration and production of oil and gas.
The “IST – Oil and Gas” platform has made a survey on the competences of IST that are related to “upstream” and has compiled a portfolio of projects and research lines that is being presented to petroleum companies with the aim of constituting joint partnerships and is the basis for the structure of “IST – Oil and Gas” platform.
Since this is a new PhD programme there is no available statistical data concerning employment of the graduates.
However, the oil market in general is now characterised by a large employment offer, in particular in the area related to oil engineering. Apart from that the oil industry, in view of the major technological challenges that are facing them in relation to the new and complex oil discoveries, has a long tradition of seeking technicians with a PhD degree.
After the exceptional discoveries made the foreseeable growth of oil and gas production is very large, in particular in Angola, Brasil e Mozambique, which will imply a considerable growth in employment offers at the level of PhD. So, it is foreseen that employment will be a strong point in the PhD programme.
Apart from the normal fluctuation in this type of market there is no foreseeable inversion of the tendency.
- Advanced Environmental Modelling
- Advanced Geostatistics
- Advanced Topics of Oil and Gas
- Advanced Topics of Reservoir Engineering
- Chemical and Biological Engineering Reaction
- Control, Communication and Computation for Intelligent Fields
- Decision Analysis Models and Applications
- Models and Applications in Operations Management and Logistics
- Prediction of Fluid Properties: Modeling and Simulation
- Seismic Characterization of Petroleum Reservoirs
- Seminars of Advanced Topics of Petroleum Engineering
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- holders of a master degree, or equivalent, as well as holders of a licence degree corresponding to a 5 year course:
- holders of a licence degree who possess a particularly relevant academic or scientific CV, as recognised by the Scientific Council of IST, attesting to the students capacity to follow this cycle of studies;
- students who possess a particularly relevant academic, scientific or profssional CV, as recognised by the Scientific Council of IST, attesting to the students capacity to follow this cycle of studies.
International2750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2750 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA2750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2750 EUR per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Lisbon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.