The Transportation Systems programme from Instituto Superior Técnico covers all relevant transportation system themes, from transportation policy, planning, and management to infrastructure design, construction, and maintenance, for the various spatial levels (from international to urban/local) and the different transportation modes (air, water, land – rail, transit, car, bicycle, and walk).
The Doctoral Program in Transportation Systems (DPTS) is designed to prepare students for transportation-related careers in academia, including teaching and advanced research, as well as professional practice careers in both public and private sectors. Upon completion of the program, students will be intellectual leaders within their chosen fields and organizations.
The goal of the program is to prepare students to become leading actors in the transportation world by providing excellence and innovation in teaching and research through:
- Providing a solid scientific education covering both methodological approaches and institutional factors required to understand the transportation enterprise as an intermodal integrated system;
- Conducting cutting-edge research for the development of a world-class transportation system for passengers and freight for Portugal that can serve as a model for the rest of Europe though multi-disciplinary research collaborations between Portugal, MIT and with European universities and outside Europe;
- Working with industrial, government, and laboratory collaborators to provide added value to the program through research collaboration and teaching involvement.
Top roles in public administration entities and companies operating in the transport systems area, research careers and higher education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Projecto and Maintenance of Railway Infrastructure
- Road and Airport Infrastructure Engineering
- Simulation Systems for Land-Use / Transport
- Thesis Project in Transport Systems
- Transport Policy and Institutions
- Business Models and Contracts
- Infrastructure Optimization and Transport Operations
- Research Methodologies in Natural and Social Sciences
- Risk and Decision Making
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesTransport Management Transportation Engineering
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Holders of an Undergraduate Degree and Master’s Degree may apply for this training doctoral programme by obtaining a pass in an advanced study course, that grants a total of credits between 30 and 60 ECTS, followed by advanced research, development and innovation work, leading to a dissertation (PhD thesis). In all it has a 3 year duration.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7000 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA1063 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1063 EUR per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.