The PhD Program in Biomedical Engineering at Instituto Superior Técnico is a unique and innovative program in the national and international panorama, sustaining technological innovation in conjunction with the recent evolution in the life sciences, and the current requirements in the health system.
Although Biomedical Engineering training offers have already a tradition in the United States, their history in Europe is much more recent and much less generalized than that of the classic branches of Engineering. Being a pioneer in the initiative of formation of 1st and 2nd cycle in Biomedical Engineering, and in the introduction of the technologies and biological sciences in engineering education, IST is well positioned to realize advanced formation at 3rd cycle level in this area.
- Promote a multi-disciplinary third cycle university education with the aim of educating a new generation of leaders in Biomedical Engineering in all its dimensions
- Promote the training and research in Biomedical Engineering, in order to enhance the synergies between the Scientific-Technological areas of Engineering and the Health and Life Sciences.
Research, development and leadership in the areas covered by the Program, in research institutions, higher education, companies in the area of Biomedical Engineering, hospital centers, in Portugal abroad.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Biomaterials
- Advanced Experimental Techniques and Methodologies in Biomedical Engineering
- Advanced Topics in Bioengineering and Biological Sciences
- Analysis and Control of Biomechanical Systems
- Basic Doctoral Formation
- Functional and Comparative Genomics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Biomedicine General Engineering & Technology View 5 other Masters in Bio & Biomedical Engineering in Portugal
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Holders of an Undergraduate Degree and Master’s Degree may apply for this training doctoral programme by obtaining a pass in an advanced study course, that grants a total of credits between 30 and 60 ECTS, followed by advanced research, development and innovation work, leading to a dissertation (PhD thesis). In all it has a 3 year duration.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7000 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA1063 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1063 EUR per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Lisbon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.