Is a DBA the right choice for me?
As an executive Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA) from University of Derby is designed specifically for business professionals, managers and practitioners, the Derby DBA will challenge you to take your skills and knowledge to the highest level. It combines academic rigour with an applied approach based on your own professional practice.
The DBA attracts experienced professionals in senior and managerial roles who are keen to take the next step in their career development, to undertake impactful business research, and to add to the body of knowledge in their sector and profession. Many of our students have already achieved masters qualifications and choose the DBA as an alternative to more traditional PhD programmes.
Flexibility is central to the DBA. In the first two years, you will attend the University for scheduled taught sessions which are delivered in five short study blocks – three blocks in Year 1 and two blocks in Year 2 of your study- so that you can fit your learning around your work and home commitments. Throughout your DBA programme, you will undertake your independent research project with the support and guidance of expert supervisors.
This structure makes the DBA an excellent choice for international as well as UK students. You will benefit from being part of a dynamic research community where professionals from different countries, sectors and backgrounds can exchange ideas. It is a chance for you to gain global perspectives and build international networks which will serve you well in your future career.
Students choose to complete doctoral research for many reasons: you could be keen to take your professional development to the next level; to pursue applied research which has a meaningful impact in your workplace; or to add to the body of specialist knowledge about a particular professional area.
Whatever your ambition, the DBA adds prestige to your CV. When you successfully complete this programme, you will have achieved the highest academic qualification and will be allowed to use the title of Doctor (please note that some countries accept doctoral awards in different ways).
Our DBA students are usually in full-time employment, undertaking research in their own work context, and can use their doctorate as a platform for further promotion to senior roles and an enhanced standing in their profession.
As an elite member of Derby Business School’s alumni networks, you will also be encouraged to maintain your links with the University beyond the DBA programme. There is the potential to contribute to joint research projects and publications, become an associate lecturer or guest speaker, and support students following in your footsteps.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Practitioner project
- Designing research projects
- Developing the professional self
- Negotiated module
- Communicating your research
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBusiness Administration Business Intelligence & Analytics International Business View 48 other PhDs in Business Administration in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
The programme seeks to admit highly capable individuals able to demonstrate motivation, interest and aptitude for doctoral level study.
- Applicants should have a masters degree in a relevant field. A good first degree may be considered instead of a masters
- Applicants should have at least three years professional experience
- Where English is not the first language, applicants may need to provide the minimum English qualification IELTS 6.5 (with no less than 5.5 in each component).
- All applicants must be interviewed
- Decisions about entry to the programme are made on the basis of application, prior education attainment, interview, professional experience and research proposal
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7800 GBP per year during 48 months.
National7800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7800 GBP per year during 48 months.
- Year 1: £7,800
- Year 2: £7,800
- Year 3: £5,700
- Year 4: £5,700
Living costs for Derby
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- You will need to apply separately for the Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship, the International Excellent Student Scholarship and the GREAT Scholarship, but all others are assessed for eligibility alongside your application.
- Our new EU Transition Bursary offers financial support to our European students. If you normally reside in the EU and are starting your undergraduate or postgraduate taught course in September or January , you could be eligible for this reduction in your tuition fees. If you have home fee status or have EU settled or pre-settled status in the UK, you are not eligible for international scholarships but you may be eligible for the Derby Achievement Scholarship.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.