To address the growing needs of engineering professionals with the education and training in advanced technologies and research skills necessary for solving the challenging problems in the automotive and mobility industry in the 21st century.
In addition to the UM-Dearborn Graduate School policies for doctoral students, as a doctoral student in Automotive Systems and Mobility at University of Michigan - Dearborn, you need to know the requirements, timeline, and processes for Pre-candidacy, Candidacy, Proposal Exam, and eventually your Dissertation Defense.
Also, an Annual Progress Report completed by you and your faculty advisor must be submitted for review to the ASM Doctoral Committee in May of each year.
Core research areas in
- Automotive Cybersecurity;
- Advanced Simulation;
- Human Factors & Transportation Systems Safety;
- Connected and Autonomous Vehicles;
- Dynamics, Control & Vehicle Safety;
- Electrified Vehicles;
- Materials, Manufacturing, & Design;
- Shared Mobility;
- Thermal-Fluid & Combustion;
- Data Analytics in Automotive & Mobility
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesIndustrial & Systems Engineering Automotive Engineering View 19 other PhDs in Industrial & Systems Engineering in United States
- A master’s degree in engineering or computer science from an accredited program
- Bachelor’s GPA: 3.0 on the 4.0-scale for regular admission
- Master’s GPA: 3.2 on the 4.0-scale for regular admission
- Recent GRE scores
- For non-native English speakers, recent scores of an advanced English proficiency exam, such as a minimum score of 84 on internet-based TOEFL or IELTS with a minimum score of 6.5.
- At least two years of full-time equivalent research and development experience in industry.
- Three recommendation letters from faculty and industry professionals including at least one letter from a supervisor/employer and at least one letter from a faculty member. In the case of working students, the letter must show commitment and support from the employer.
- A curriculum vitae (CV) or a resume
- A Statement of purpose including a research topic and research plan.
- It is strongly suggested to identify a faculty advisor at the time of application. A faculty advisor must be identified after admission and before the first enrollment.
International890 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 445 USD per semester during 24 months.
National890 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 445 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Dearborn
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.