In recent years LRC has undertaken projects on home delivery operations, performance measurement in the road freight sector, the development of coastal roll on-roll off (ro-ro) services for trucks, the process of freight traffic growth, future logistical trends in Europe and the distribution systems of UK supermarket chains. It has been a full partner in several major EU projects and conducted studies for government departments, the Institute of Logistics and Transport and several trade bodies.
The Logistics programme is offered at Heriot-Watt University.
Much of our research is undertaken within the broad areas below:
- Relationship between logistics / supply chain trends and freight transport
- Environmental sustainability of logistics operations
- Low carbon logistics
- Performance measurement, benchmarking and data collection in logistics
- Freight transport policy
- Shipping and port development
- Retail logistics
- Clothing and textile supply chains
- Effects of IT and e-commerce on logistics
- Impact of infrastructure development and traffic congestion on logistics
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesSupply Chain Management & Logistics Retail Management View 10 other PhDs in Supply Chain Management & Logistics in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- We welcome applications from suitably qualified candidates. Please note that it is not necessary to have identified a potential supervisor before submitting your application.
- Students successful in obtaining a place on our PhD programme normally commence their research studies at the start of the academic year in September. However, it is possible to join the PhD programme at an agreed date during the academic year.
- Copies of full academic transcripts from all previous academic degree courses and copies of degree certificates for degrees already awarded.
- If you are currently pursuing a degree course please provide all available marks to date.
- The research proposal should be around 5-8 pages long and contain as much as possible of the following: an introduction or outline of the proposed topic; a statement of objectives and/or specific research questions; a summary of some of the relevant literature which supports the research objective(s);
International15360 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15360 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA4380 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4380 GBP per year during 36 months.
- UK/EU: £2,190
- Overseas: £7,680
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.