Drawing on a range of approaches to psychological practice and enquiry, it will enable you to make a significant contribution to psychological knowledge, research and practice across a range of settings in public, private and voluntary sectors.
The Counselling Psychology course at London Metropolitan University is a three-year full-time (four-year part-time) taught doctoral programme that combines in-depth competency in cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), strong humanistic values and psychodynamic awareness.
The doctorate was commended by the BPS for the depth and breadth of the modules offered; a number of our modules were described as cutting-edge and well suited to the current zeitgeist and employment market. These modules include a first-year module devoted to working with difference and diversity and a third-year service evaluation research exercise.
After the course
Career opportunities for counselling psychologists include posts in a variety of areas. These include National Health Service (NHS) settings such as primary care, Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) services, community mental health, drug and alcohol, rehabilitation, eating and personality disorder services, as well as the prison service, voluntary sector, private practice, academia, training, supervision, management and consultancy.
The Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology leads to a doctoral qualification that automatically confers professional registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and accreditation as a fully qualified chartered counselling psychologist with the British Psychological Society.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Research Design and Analysis for Psychology
- Counselling Psychology Practice and Development
- Professional and Ethical Issues
- Psychological Knowledge and Models of Therapy
- Research Project and Critical Skills
- Therapeutic and Reflective Skills
- Working with Difference and Diversity
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPsychology Counselling Clinical Psychology View 86 other PhDs in Psychology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
You will be required to have:
- Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) of the British Psychological Society
- a minimum of an upper second class (2:1) honours degree in Psychology
- practical experience of using counselling skills in an emotionally demanding helping role gained over at least one year prior to application and ideally some training in counselling skills
- a satisfactory enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
You will also need to submit a personal statement (maximum of 2,000 words) that shows:
- a level of professional and theoretical understanding adequate to support work in practice placements with vulnerable clients from the beginning of the programme
- evidence of personal maturity, self-awareness and reflective capacity
- a clear and appropriate rationale for wanting to train as a counselling psychologist
- evidence of a realistic appreciation of and capacity to undertake professional training and research at postgraduate level
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14320 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14320 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9550 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9550 GBP per year during 36 months.
- UK:£1,060 per 20 credits
- Int:£1,590 per 20 credits
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.